Quantcast

Anyone listened to new and last gen monitor audio gold side by side?

TheDeuce

Just curious really. Recently picked up some of the previous (4th gen) gold 100's and I'm so impressed with them. The new 5th gen, I actually think don't look as nice... But I'm frankly so happy with my 4th gen that I would perhaps be open to upgrading if they have made a further genuine advance in sound reproduction.

Hard to find much in the way of comparative reviews though. Even harder to find a store with both old and new in stock, most seem to have already discounted and sold their previous gen gold stock. At least near me..

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
If you are happy with them then unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket it might be better not to find out! I would assume there would be improvements but I very much doubt they would justify the extra money you would need to upgrade while 5th gens are still the current model.

I'm still using various GR models on multiple setups as I love them. I'm assuming the GR is what would be known as first generation Golds and the only reason I've not set out to demo the newer versions is I don't want to know what I'm missing until I feel I can justify the expense of upgrading. That said, I'd still be interested to hear your thoughts if you do get a chance to try your 4th gen against the new ones.

TheDeuce

If you are happy with them then unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket it might be better not to find out! I would assume there would be improvements but I very much doubt they would justify the extra money you would need to upgrade while 5th gens are still the current model.

I'm still using various GR models on multiple setups as I love them. I'm assuming the GR is what would be known as first generation Golds and the only reason I've not set out to demo the newer versions is I don't want to know what I'm missing until I feel I can justify the expense of upgrading. That said, I'd still be interested to hear your thoughts if you do get a chance to try your 4th gen against the new ones.
Wise words perhaps!! Lol.

Yes I guess I'm tempting fate by even showing an interest. Partly though it's because I feel safe because I can't really see any big leap forward between mine and the new generation. I think it was the generation before mine when they first adopted the previously platinum only ribbon transducer, which obviously was a pretty big deal.

I think I will audition a set in time. I'm only putting my wallet at so much risk as the new ones would have to be considerably better than mine in order to accept the new boxy design though!

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Yeah the one before yours were the GX range and that's when they started nicking ideas from the Platinum models. Prior to that was the GS range which were very similar to the original GR's and very different to the later models like yours, so I think there will be a far greater potential for me to find worthwhile differences that it will be for you. Still love mine though so not in any great rush to find out!

meduk1

I've always seen upgrades between models as a sideways step, nothing particularly gained. I think some of the older models look a lot nicer also. I'm running GX series and think they both look and sound great

TheDeuce

I've always seen upgrades between models as a sideways step, nothing particularly gained. I think some of the older models look a lot nicer also. I'm running GX series and think they both look and sound great
I think I agree, between one generation and the next. I think there is a pretty strong argument for skipping a couple of generations a lot of the time.

Having said that, whilst I love the current (4th gen) golds so much, I really can't see myself upgrading to any future gold until they get the styling back in line lol. 3rd/4th gen are a design classic - the entire industry press bangs on about how sexy they are in every single review. I know it shouldn't matter but... They're big lumps in my living room, so it kinda does matter to me at least.

SP31

Novice Member
I had a listen to the MA 4th gen, GR series, studio bookshelfs next to the latest 5th edition Golds

(Completely subjective opinion) images of equipment used attached.

The fifth edition has noticeably tighter bass, the GR are a warmer sounding speaker, I also have the latest studio bookshelves, they tend to be a little bit too accurate and sterile sounding. The difference between the 4th generation and 5th generation would be in the high's the MPD tweeters do sound better than ribbons used in 4th gen, 5th gen have a wider sound stage and greater precision , all in all I really love and own the GR series and couldn't find a reason to go for the newer models, 5th gen do sound great but tend to lack warmth, really more of a true monitor
20200318_160341.jpg
speaker.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Nice to hear your thoughts on the older vs newer as it's something I've often wondered about. I have multiple sets of GR's and when GS came along I didn't feel the differences warranted a change so waited until the next model. By the time they came out, the cost to upgrade was becoming considerable and I have been putting off upgrading ever since. Looks like a pair of MA Gold 200's are now close to 3 grand while second hand value of GR20's would be under £500. However good the new golds are, I'm guessing they aren't even close to 6 times better than GR's so I think my upgrade path may have ended for now!

Top Bottom