Anyone listened to both Dali Epicon 2 and Epicon 6?

Centauri

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Epicon 2's supported by a pair of Rel T9i's, which I'm pretty happy with, but as I'm sure many on here will understand only too well, there's always the temptation to 'upgrade'. I'm wondering whether there is much of a difference between the 2's and 6's? I know that best idea is to go and try both, but as I'm in the idle contemplation stage I'm wondering if anyone has spent a bit of time listening to both and has any views?

Out of interest what amplifier are you using?

That is a mighty fine looking amp sir 👍

I’d be surprised if there was any serious difference between the Epicon 2 and the 6 for you.

The only real difference is (or should be) bass extension; and the Epicon 6 being a slightly easier load for any amp.

I doubt the second part would perturb your amp, and the first you have covered with two legendary subs.

The only reasons I could see for a change, would be

1)

If you were unhappy with the subs integration with the 2s. Then it would be possibly a great idea to go for the 6s. But you’d need to bear in mind that they coiled not come close to the subs depth, though more than the 2s alone.

2)

If you wished to get rid of the subs for aesthetic reasons and wanted to lose as little depth as possible.

But then that might be better done by a Pair of Epicon 8s.

Thanks for your comments! The amp was a recommendation from a dealer, and a good one as it turns out.

I like the relatively warm sound of the system (which is why I thought of sticking with the Epicon's but just a bit more of them) and don't mind the subs physical presence (they're pretty unobtrusive, turned down quite low, and one is on the Rel wireless system allowing flexibility for placement). Interesting suggestion re the 8's.

Hi Centuri,

Not heard the 2s, but have had the 6s for two years. Another difference is the hybrid tweeter with an added ribbon kicking in @>14000HZ. The bass reflex port is tuned to @33Hz, so the E string of a bass guitar suffers little or no roll off. I find them beautifully balanced, top to bottom. The much pricier 8s would undoubtably shift more air and are true three ways, but would probably overload my room. My “ end game” speakers and well worth a listen imho.

I was wondering if the ribbons made a difference...

I’m very much a fan of the pleated type tweeters, I’ve had a few. Mostly active Adams though.

But when the 2s tweeter is so well thought of I’m a little puzzled as to what the hybrid design can add, especially at such highish frequencies.

Though that may be because my ears are not young.

Hi Centuri,

Not heard the 2s, but have had the 6s for two years. Another difference is the hybrid tweeter with an added ribbon kicking in @>14000HZ. The bass reflex port is tuned to @33Hz, so the E string of a bass guitar suffers little or no roll off. I find them beautifully balanced, top to bottom. The much pricier 8s would undoubtably shift more air and are true three ways, but would probably overload my room. My “ end game” speakers and well worth a listen imho.

Thank you for commenting, that's really helpful. I find my 2's very clear and sweet towards the top end, and have the bass covered with the subs, but I'm hoping to expand the midrange a little and that was why I was musing over the 6's as a natural progression. Sounds like it's a reasonable thing to follow up on, and I'm certainly intrigued by the ribbon tweeter too. I'm going to see if I can get a sensible trade in offer on my 2's against a set of 6's and start from there.

I was fortunate to take advantage of Dali‘s 20% off deal in the midst of lockdown, otherwise I would still be happily listening to the Rubicons. hopefully you have a dealer close as only way to be sure. Agree, the tweeter is a star performer and the ribbon is there for those harmonics and decay that give ”air” to the top end. As Paul says, I doubt very much if my ageing ears could detect an audio gram test tone @ 15 KHz but the ribbon output can definitely be detected. I guess the 6 s are a halfway house to the dedicated mid range transducer of the 8s, but Dali know their stuff with crossover design, imho.

not local to me or you, but highly recommend Nintronics for their generous trade in plus excellent service and personal delivery.

Last edited:
Just thought that I would update this thread as I always appreciate finding out what someone does after asking for advice. Once I had it in my head that I wanted to try and move to a pair of floorstanders that was it, I knew it was inevitable, and the process built up a bit of steam. I love the aesthetics and the warm sound of the Epicon's but decided to broaden the search with these two aspects in mind. An inevitable bit of budget creep happened, and I ended up with a pair of Sonus Faber Serafino Tradition - which I'm really pleased with, and they absolutely fulfil my demands for beautiful speakers that sound superb!

These fellows?

That’s a hell of a speaker sir.👍

And a big budget jump 🥳🥳

@Centauri I have the Epicon 6's and it's an amazying speaker. Bass is just amazying as well, Never felt the need to add sub. I think the 8's would be an overkill but if you have the room go for it. Sometimes, to get close to the sound signiture of the 8's i do a 2/3 db bass EQ raise. Mainly when i listen to some bad Heavy metal recordings . Again amazying speaker

@Centauri I have the Epicon 6's and it's an amazying speaker. Bass is just amazying as well, Never felt the need to add sub. I think the 8's would be an overkill but if you have the room go for it. Sometimes, to get close to the sound signiture of the 8's i do a 2/3 db bass EQ raise. Mainly when i listen to some bad Heavy metal recordings . Again amazying speaker

Thanks SDK2, Epicon's really are very good I think and I bet the 6's are great! I actually bought some Sonus Faber speakers in the end, and still use the Rel's with those. Interestingly, for me at least, one very big audible difference regarding bass management came when I changed my integrated amp for a pre/power combo.

Bad heavy metal recordings eh? What are those?! Looking at your avatar - I'm looking forward to seeing Maiden in July!

@Centauri well it's not that Maiden are known for using EQ when recording their first albums :) , but i still love them :)

@Centauri well it's not that Maiden are known for using EQ when recording their first albums :) , but i still love them :)
Hi...I'm in somewhat of a same position you were in but my setup is the Rubicon 2 W/ pair of Rel T7X subs...driven by Vincent SV-737 hybrid amp...
Sounds really nice...but i'm wanting more like you did...looking for a more fuller body sound...
I'm debating between going with an Epicon 2 W/my pair of subs or...
going with the Dali Rubicon 6 black edition...w/my subs...please give me some insight since you've been down this lane...Thanks😁

Dali speakers disappear in the room🎶

If you assume that Dali know what they are doing, then it’s no question that the Epicon 2s are the first choice.

The Epicons are their top range.

Whilst the Rubicons are indeed mighty fine, the Epicons are Dalis statement product.

… apart from these of course.

… apart from these of course.

Oh my god!!!!
If Scarlet Johansen was a speaker she would be a Dali Kore.
They make my Rubicons look like Jo Brand......

My goodness those Kore are beautiful.

If you assume that Dali know what they are doing, then it’s no question that the Epicon 2s are the first choice.

The Epicons are their top range.

Whilst the Rubicons are indeed mighty fine, the Epicons are Dalis statement product.
yes...Epicon is Dali flagship, but the epicon 2 vs rubicon 6...i would think the better speaker for full range sound quality is the rubicon 6...epicon 2 only has 2 drivers

I concur sir.

My current and future longing.

Completely off topic of course but my current if-I-won-the-lottery speaker :)

1689245208218.png

yes...Epicon is Dali flagship, but the epicon 2 vs rubicon 6...i would think the better speaker for full range sound quality is the rubicon 6...epicon 2 only has 2 drivers

This is a good point I think and I don't know what the answer is. Based on my time with Epicon 2's I thought I thought that they are a really lovely speaker, but I pretend no great breadth of experience. I added in a pair of Rel subs to fill them out and IMO that worked quite well. I've never heard the rubicons.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom