1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone like Tru Calling?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by smelly, Dec 9, 2004.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Just read on TVTome that the second series has been cancelled after they've recorded only 2 episodes. It was apparently due to be shown 2005 but had already been cut down from 13 eps to 6 and after recording the first 2 its been canned altogether.

It was never going to win awards but it was an enjoyable prog to watch. I can think of worse things that have gone on to a second series!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It had a dodgy start but once it found it's footing and expanded the cast and the main arc it really took off. It's a shame that FOX after giving it a second season then canned it in favour of other programming which they hope will win back viewers for the network.
    There is a R1 boxset.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    :mad: say it ain't so?!?! i really liked that show and was really looking forward to season 2! Fox sucks, bring back buffy, bring back angel, bring back tru calling!!

edit: where did you read that, i just went on tvtome and they just said it isn't starting in january, nothing about it being cancelled..

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I read about it being cancelled about 6-8 weeks ago, well depends how you view "cancelled". The shows production was cut from 13 to 6 and then no firm date given for those epsiodes with big marketing budgets given to other FOX shows.
    To me that means cancelled, they just haven't been given the paperwork yet.
    FOX are cut throat and to all intents and purposes Tru is done and dusted unless it turns up on another channel later next year which is unlikely.

5. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    It was on the forum section. They also had a link to an interview with Tru about what 'would've' happened to her character had filming continued.

6. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do you have a link to that interview - it'd be nice to find out what would've happened to her character.

Cheers

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Can't say I'm surprised, big disappointment for a great idea.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I liked it. I think the last 6 episodes will go straight to DVD. eLIZA.....mmmmmm

Gordon

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Reminds me of Jake 2.0, I really enjoyed that series, and it was cancelled half way through the FIRST series!!!!!

It was an intelligent sci-fi'ish program. Too much O/C and kiddie/teen soaps around now-a-days, but thats what the younger generation want to watch, and we are forgotten about.

10. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that Fox sucks having in recent years cancelled the fantastic Dark Angel, John Doe and Firefly (which is being made into a film "serenity"). They however had nothing to do with Angel being cancelled, that was Warner Brothers TV channel(WB) and as for Buffy it wasn't cancelled it just reached the end of the line after seven years...besides that was on UPN not fox. I'm glad Buffy has finished and hopefully in years to come Sarah Michelle Geller will revisit her Buffy character and bring it to the big screen!

Tru Calling really was never up to scratch and even the gorgeous Eliza Dushku wasn't enough to save this show from being just mediocre. To be honest I'm glad it's been cancelled as it opens the possibility of Eliza Dushku taking the part of Faith from Buffy and possibly getting her own spin-off series!

Jake 2.0... Was how can I put this mildly... Absolute cr*p and unlike other series cancelled over last decade or so which had potential or was a good quality programme that show was neither. Examples of great shows or those with potential cancelled to early include Dark skies, Dark Angel, Farscape, John Doe, Space above & beyond, Crusade, John Doe, Firefly. Next thing you know you'll be telling us that Tarzan was intelligent! Kazman, I do however agree with you about there are too many kiddie/teen shows being made and it would be nice to watch some QUALITY adult sci-fi series for a change! Someting on the lines of Babylon 5!

11. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    due to tru calling having a very narrow realm of possible storylines, i never thought it would last the 5 or 7 years of angel or buffy, but i was hoping we'd at least see enough to have tru find out about her parent's involvement and have a final showdown with jack and her father, but it seems that won't happen now. It's such a shame that TV works the way it does in america. In britain, a show is only normally cancelled when the writers themselves decide enough is enough, and for that reason we get proper conclusions, but in america it's out of the writer's hands entirely :mad: i was really annoyed that angel was cancelled part way through season 5 as well, as joss had originally planned for season 5 to go back to it's roots and be 22 seperate entities, hence all the non progressive episodes; but then had to cram a 22 episode plot into the last few episodes. I mean it was rumoured that Illy'ria was to be the big-bad of season 5, but they had to kill that story line off over 2 episodes instead..

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    Here's hoping for Faith The Vampire Slayer!

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I love Buffy and Angel, got the DVD boxsets and it's amazing how many episodes I don't skip when doing a vampire marathon:)
    However, I don't particularly like the Faith character and just think that it would almost be like admitting failure for Joss to return to former glories, something like Chris Carter doing another X-Files movie:)

Would I watch it if it ever came to pass, of course if Joss and/or Tim were behind the helm :)

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    it was complete garbage!
    what was with all the running around she did? had nobody heard of mobile phones?
    Yes the running around in the first episode was great, but after that they sorted her out a sports bra, and the running became pointless (well bounceless anyway)

16. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
  17. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you.

18. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,542
    agree that it was awful...same every episode...boooooooring...good to see Jason Priestley back though...

19. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I can't see Joss returning to make Faith the series in any capacity except executive producer. He is very unlikely to have it much to do with it as his new baby is serenity - the Firefly movie. I seriously hope that a Faith spin-off is given a chance perhaps with Spike in tow even without Joss. I think the only way Joss would continue working on the Buffyverse would be if Buffy hit the big screen but for now I think his heart lies with Serenity and its future.

I don't think if Chris Carter made in another X-Files movie it would be admitting failure because another big screen movie would be the natural progression of the X-Files. I hope at some point a second X-Files movie is made as long as its stars mulder and Scully.

Starburst, I take it by your name that you are farscape fan? I'm really looking forward to seeing the new mini-series some time in the new-year. Have you seen it yet?

20. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

There has certainly been a lot of rumour and comment about a second X-Files movie, Duchovney especially has been vocal about a new script and the participation of Anderson and Carter. Lets face it without the trio back together it would be rather pointless.

I am a Farscape fan but my name as it's origins back in the dark days of PC online gaming when I played Quake and Quakeworld on a seriously dodgy and expensive dialup connection!
    This was when Opal Fruits were still Opal Fruits:)
    Since in IRC, newsgroups and other forums I was recognised by the name I kept it when I joined this one.

Yep I've seen PeaceKeeper Wars.
    Very enjoyable for any fan and certainly was written in a very satisfying way in the manner in which many of the questions and dilemmas from the first 4 seasons are handled:)

21. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree in would be extremely pointless without the trio and I hope that the movie gets made sooner rather than later. What has surprised me is David Duchovney 's career since leaving the X-Files haven't exactly been as successful as I would have expected. Mostly he seems to make odd little quirky movies whenever I have noticed. Maybe an X-Files movie would put his career back on track?

that is good to hear! I'll be looking forward to this even more now.

next stop for Farscape... THE BIG SCREEN!!!! *FINGERS CROSSED* :D