Anyone like to offer criticism?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jools230575, May 31, 2005.

1. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

Thought that I would a couple of examples of some of the photos I took in Paris recently.

The photos were taken with the EOS350D and the kit lens. As of yet don't have the cash to get any more lenses :thumbsdow

Quickly while on the subject of lenses. I know because the 350D it maginifies the lens a little. How do you get on if you wanted a fixed ratio lens of 50mm? If you put this on the 350D it no longer becomes a 50mm. Am I correct in saying this????

Attached Files:

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The "crop" factor of the 350D is 1.6 so you'd want a lens at 31.25mm for a "true" 50mm 35mm equivalent.

3. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a thread at the top of this section - critique corner :)

Your attachments are a little small (pixel dimensions) to judge much about them. All seem a bit dark.

The lens length thing has been discussed before. Simple way to think about it is imagine a frame of normal film then cut off the edges until it is the size of a digital sensor. The light hitting it from the lens has not changed but you have cropped the edge away. So you have magnified the middle of a 50mm lens image by 1.6x . Almost the same as a longer lens equivalent but there is a difference I think (awaits lens experts arrival :) ) .

Man this site seems painfully slow tonight :mad:

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    The site is so slow today that I've not been able to view the full size shots yet :rolleyes: that said we do have a sticky above for critique shots.

Re your question about the 350 magnifying the lens! This seems to be an often misunderstood aspect of digital photography, unless you are lucky enough to own a digital camera with a full size (35mm equivalent) sensor then a multiplyer needs to be applied, this doesn't mean that any given lens is magically turned into a super zoom though.

Hopefully the image attached will help explain it better!
    The smaller sensor of the 350 reduces the field of view, so on a 35mm camera (on the left) the image would be the full width of the projected image, that same image projected onto the smaller sensor would capture the more central portion of the image!

So your 50mm lens would have the same field of view as an 80mm lens attached to a 35mm camera, you would need to use a lens of 30mm approx on the 350d with its 1.6 multiplyer to have the same field of view as a 50mm lens attached to a 35mm camera!

Attached Files:

5. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its so slow we can all reply and not know it :)

6. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Agreed :boring:

7. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info on the lens

Regards to the pics.

I cut them down as usually I put them up on my webspace and send a link. But people usually say they are too big.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1