Anyone know when the other colours of PS3 are launched ?

Graham27

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, just as title really.

Since it's such a chunky beast and will probably be going in the living room I've had to come to a compromise with the missus. The compromise is that I'll probably be needing one in white. So as not to clash with the decor.

If you think this is daft, you tell her. You wouldn't like her when she's angry :D

Anyone know when/if the white one will be with us ?

I'm not sure anyone know's for sure, but i think it may be a while till you see a white one.

I hear that the black casing is ever so slightly transparent so if you get in close - you can see the inner workings of the machine. pretty neat!

jstw said:
I'm not sure anyone know's for sure, but i think it may be a while till you see a white one.

^^ this really, was a good while before the ps2 went white and was required to 'boost' sales a bit more... my ps3 is definately going in a frosted front cabinet, the ugly bastard that it is.

who would've thought that microsoft, a US company would design something prettier than the japanese who are known for there small, cute design houses?? insanity. :thumbsdow

Graham27 said:
Hi, just as title really.

Since it's such a chunky beast and will probably be going in the living room I've had to come to a compromise with the missus. The compromise is that I'll probably be needing one in white. So as not to clash with the decor.

If you think this is daft, you tell her. You wouldn't like her when she's angry :D

Anyone know when/if the white one will be with us ?

According to the new Next3 magazine the other colours may start to come out in March '07

I would think there be some special version for Japan only thats a different colour for some reason japan gets all special editions and the rest of us have to suffer.

Personally i don't think it's ugly.

What I really don't get is when people need 'permission' to own something. Sod that, if my missus says no I point to the door..

clarky78 said:
What I really don't get is when people need 'permission' to own something. Sod that, if my missus says no I point to the door..

And that's what i say to my husband, me being the bigger tech geek (and he's pretty bad). I'm the one that took him from wanting a 32" tv to a 42" that we bought :smashin:

And have to agree, don't think ps3 is ugly at all. Admit it is pretty big (but prob no bigger than 360 and its humongous powerbrick combined) but think it is far better looking than any incarnation of the ps2

As the saying goes with the PS3 'You can have it in any colour you want...as long as it is black' :D

nehalem said:
I hear that the black casing is ever so slightly transparent so if you get in close - you can see the inner workings of the machine. pretty neat!

That is cool :cool:

nehalem said:

suppose you have to get entertainment out of it somehow.:D
As long as there one or two neons to light it up.:cool:

I don't think its ugly either and miles better than PS2 was (do like look of 360 more). It looks like a stylish "George Forman" big grilling machine!

I had a feeling there'd be at least one sarky comment. I thought it'd at least be funny :)

I don't need "permission" to buy anything. I do think it's sensible that if I want to stick a chunky bit of plastic and metal into a room that's been carefully decorated then a few compromises have to be reached. Seeing as every other thing in the room has been picked to match and there's not a single black item in there I have a feeling that a PS3 might stick out like a sore thumb. So I would like a white or possibly silver one so that doesn't happen. (Much like the white 360 that sits there blandly at present :) ) Sensible compromise, no ?

And I don't actually think it's ugly anyway, just a bit big, black and noticeable !

As regards her compromises, she's all for turning the garage of our new house into a dedicated cinema room and she's given me free reign to rip open walls, install cabling and gear and generally spend OUR money on MY hobby. I don't think I need to show her the door :D

Anyway, back to topic. Thanks to those who've given me ideas of when a white one should be out. Might be a while then. Might just have to be black, anyone know of any good cabinet makers ? :D

clarky78 said:
Personally i don't think it's ugly.

It's called being in a loving, caring relationship where you respect your partner and their wishes. It is obviously not the case with you but to some people their relationships mean more to them than material objects.

My wife is more than reasonable with me and my hobbies and without her support (financial and moral) i'd never have been able to start my business or buy half the stuff I have over the last few years. I respect that my wife is a strong character and couldn't think of anything worse than being with a doormat personally.

I can definately understand that people would want the PS3 in different colourways as more than ever people are placing more emphasis on the overall look of their AV system. I guess with the 360 you can at least change the faceplate to match the colour of the rest of your system. Hopefully they will release the PS3 in different colours not long after launch, but I guess that consoles are generally released in just the one colour at launch. Nintendo seem to be the main exception to this with the Gamecube, DS/DS Lite and soon the Wii all released in different colours at launch as far as i'm aware.

the only thing that would bother me is remember the red, white, yellow and blue ps2's didnt they milk the price somewhat and still selling at 299 aint they? I know sony had yellow ones on their shop.uk.playstation.com a month or 2 ago but the site is down now for refit.

Funny thing the colour thing is. I had the black ps2, then bought a silver trinitron widescreen, bought silver amp and dvd player.

Now i want the black ps3, to match my new bravia tv, sky digibox and black dvd player. All within the last 6 years colours have changed.

Black is the new silver :smashin:

CAS FAN said:
It's called being in a loving, caring relationship where you respect your partner and their wishes. It is obviously not the case with you but to some people their relationships mean more to them than material objects.

why would clarky care what his right hand thought of the ps3?

Crisp_Rapper said:
why would clarky care what his right hand thought of the ps3?

:rotfl:

Crisp_Rapper said:
^^ this really, was a good while before the ps2 went white and was required to 'boost' sales a bit more...

Sporran said:
Funny thing the colour thing is. I had the black ps2, then bought a silver trinitron widescreen, bought silver amp and dvd player.

Now i want the black ps3, to match my new bravia tv, sky digibox and black dvd player. All within the last 6 years colours have changed.

Black is the new silver :smashin:

the ps2 wouldnt of gone white/silver if it wasnt for fashion making tvs and dvd players silver.

at the moment i have a silver tv, dvd and ps2 but my next tv that i am hopefully getting soon will be black (again), so my ps3 will match it nicley.

if styles changed to us having red tvs and dvd players then i would expect both sony and microsoft to release red versions of their consoles

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom