1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what this circled component is?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boy Lex, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hello!

These are photos (sorry bout the quality - can't find my own digi camera lead so am using camcorder photocard) from a completely trashed sky plus box I got from eBay (pace 3000). The guy gave me a refund and told me to chuck it when I told him the state it was in. Apparently he'd boxed it ages ago. It's been smashed (dropped on the corner), there is a drilled hole in the back, and I think someone's tried and failed an SDI mod on it. :oops:

Anyway - not quite ready to bin it until I've got bored of trying to fix it :D .

The area on the board around the conexant chip is pretty mangled, but I'm confident with a multimeter, some enamled copper and a bit of patience I can seperate the fused pins and get it back to how it's supposed to be.

However, it will all be a waste of time if I can't figure out what the circled component is... It is completely frazzled. Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Digital Video Encoder

http://obi.one.free.fr/fourre%20tout/bt860-861.pdf#search='conexant%20bt861krf'

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - will attempt to battle through that to figure it out!

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    A video encoder basically takes the digital CCIR601/565 from the MPEG decoder and (via video DACs on the chip) outputs analogue video in RGB, Cvbs or S-video form.

Chris Muriel, (currently in Limerick - usually Manchester)

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at the first pic... I think the encoder chip is ok, but it's some sort of miniature resistor / diode that has been fried. Can't even trace it back to the chip?