Anyone know what this circled component is?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boy Lex, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hello!

These are photos (sorry bout the quality - can't find my own digi camera lead so am using camcorder photocard) from a completely trashed sky plus box I got from eBay (pace 3000). The guy gave me a refund and told me to chuck it when I told him the state it was in. Apparently he'd boxed it ages ago. It's been smashed (dropped on the corner), there is a drilled hole in the back, and I think someone's tried and failed an SDI mod on it. :oops:

Anyway - not quite ready to bin it until I've got bored of trying to fix it :D .

The area on the board around the conexant chip is pretty mangled, but I'm confident with a multimeter, some enamled copper and a bit of patience I can seperate the fused pins and get it back to how it's supposed to be.

However, it will all be a waste of time if I can't figure out what the circled component is... It is completely frazzled. Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Digital Video Encoder

http://obi.one.free.fr/fourre%20tout/bt860-861.pdf#search='conexant%20bt861krf'

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - will attempt to battle through that to figure it out!

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    A video encoder basically takes the digital CCIR601/565 from the MPEG decoder and (via video DACs on the chip) outputs analogue video in RGB, Cvbs or S-video form.

Chris Muriel, (currently in Limerick - usually Manchester)

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you look at the first pic... I think the encoder chip is ok, but it's some sort of miniature resistor / diode that has been fried. Can't even trace it back to the chip?