Anyone know what the scam is here?

I’d keep them as unsolicited items however I’d immediately be checking my online credit profile with the likes of Experian etc...

There are 3 credit reference agencies to check and all of them are free to check your basic profile for basic activity. Most have apps too. Have a look at ClearScore app for starters.

Yeah it is bizarre I am wondering what will turn up next! The email used for the orders is very similar to my wife's, contains an extra letter and the address on the parcels is the same apart from saying East Sussex instead of West, postcode is correct though. The email address used for the orders appears to be a real email account owned by a woman in the US, this could be hijacked or fake though I guess. We have logged it with action fraud just in case anything high value turns up and we get accused of ordering it. Action fraud suggested what can happen is the scammer may contact us and ask us to forward the parcels on as they had been delivered to us by mistake. I just can't see much profit in a a few beers and a packet of coffee o_O

As has been suggested, sometimes they test the waters with minor items which no fuss is going to be made about before going for the bigger ticket items.... so get more concerned when De Beers or Cartier goods start turning up

As has been suggested, sometimes they test the waters with minor items which no fuss is going to be made about before going for the bigger ticket items.... so get more concerned when De Beers or Cartier goods start turning up

Perfect, then sign with a fake name and your non writing hand.

A few years ago I came home and the concierge had a package with my address, but the name was missing. Took it in, had 6 bottles of wine, checked online and the cheapest bottle was 100 quid. Waited 6 months, no one ever contacted me, so I drank them.

At which point follow the advice of post #16 [emoji12]

Edit: Damn! beaten to it by alan

You weren’t signed up to this years AVF Secret Santa by any chance were you? ;)

I have experienced something similar, and just as baffling.
A few years ago, just before my wife's birthday, a parcel arrived, address to her. She opened it and found it was a Mac Mini. There was no indication of who could have sent her such an expensive present, so she phoned Apple, who told her that she had ordered it. But, though the name and address were correct, the buyer had used a fake email address and a different credit card.
We called the police, and the officer at first said it was a mixup caused by similar names. But my wife's name is unusual: in fact there appears to no one in the world (or on the internet, anyway) with exactly the same name. The domain name on the fake email address belonged to an on-line discussion forum for vicars (I am not making this up), part of a group of professional forums, none of which showed any activity.
The police officer said that scams like this depend on the delivery being intercepted, perhaps by collusion with a crooked posty / driver. He also said that we were perfectly entitled to keep the Mac Mini, providing Apple didn't want it back. Unfortunately, they did.
The return procedure was very secure, with a timed collection by a named driver, and codes and password, which hints at another way the scam could be done (a fake driver turning up the next day to collect a 'mistaken' delivery).
I am still baffled by this. And disappointed that we didn't get to keep the Mac Mini.

Slightly different , happened at least 10 years ago.

Had a friend who received a macbook pro from a well known river named online store. He had ordered it but all good. Next day another one arrived even though he'd only ordered the one.

Dutifully he informed the retailer who said it was a mistake and that he wouldn't be charged and they would arrange collection. My mate checks his account ....yep only one macbook pro on there.

After a few weeks of waiting for the retailer to collect the spare macbook his girlfriend took possession of it ...jobs a good un!

I once received a well wrapped and packaged parcel from The Netherlands. Address was correct , down to the postcode and the name of the house , name was totally wrong. The house had been in the family for over 30 years at this point so not like it was a previous owner.

We hummed and hah'd about returning it to the postie. Finally I gingerly opened it.

Sealed bottle of Timotei shampoo with absolutely no other information in there whatsoever.

Bizarre ...needless to say it went straight in the bin just in case it contained any manner of weirdness.

I’d keep them as unsolicited items however I’d immediately be checking my online credit profile with the likes of Experian etc...

There are 3 credit reference agencies to check and all of them are free to check your basic profile for basic activity. Most have apps too. Have a look at ClearScore app for starters.

Agree with this - sign up to ClearScore and noddle. Make sure there’s no credit searches you aren’t aware of. If there is, dispute them

I once received a well wrapped and packaged parcel from The Netherlands. Address was correct , down to the postcode and the name of the house , name was totally wrong. The house had been in the family for over 30 years at this point so not like it was a previous owner.

We hummed and hah'd about returning it to the postie. Finally I gingerly opened it.

Sealed bottle of Timotei shampoo with absolutely no other information in there whatsoever.

Bizarre ...needless to say it went straight in the bin just in case it contained any manner of weirdness.

Do they even sell that anymore, I remember it in the 70's, didn't look good at all.

Just had a Taste Card delivered, a years subscription, once again in my wife's name and the address is correct this time :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom