1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know what the new Panasonic SA-XR10 is like?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stevie G, May 8, 2002.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    Stunning styling, sounds really clean and undistorted, not convinced about the RMS output, 20Hz to 20Khz is 80 Watts but it sounds like a decent 30 Watts to me.
    To compare I would say it sounds as powerful as a Sony DAVS800, so fine for a smaller room, but if you are chasing grunt look elsewhere.
    Try and demo it, it may be fine.

3. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So it would comfortably power a set of Mission FS2AV's.....?

Is the DPL2 steering good (in comparision to other amps with DPL2)?

Thanks.....

4. s9s

s9s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emanef

Check the specks to other brands under the Panasonic umbrella ie Denon, Technics etc etc thier may be a similar amp that has been disguised as a panny. Panasoninc are turing into Volkswagon, as in ironing out individual development for the collective swapping of parts. The new Skoda is a 2 yr old golf as certain denon dvd players are Panansonics, but pricer.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    Yes, it would make a good choice for the Mission FSA2 pack.
    The Pro-Logic 2 steering is as good as any.
    You seem interested in power, if you would like reasonably high levels, you may find this combination lacking.
    Have you already bought the speakers?
    It's only a suggestion, but one option that has a lot more poke, is very neat with a 54Mhz video DAC, DD, DTS, DPL2, MP3. The new JVC TH-V70R system.
    It sounds well, can be mounted vertically or horizontal, and unusual for these designs has RGB scart too.
    For around £600 it is worth a look. Try and demo, particularly you should be taken with the sub.

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    s9s,
    The SA-XR10 is genuinely a new design, it is a "digital" topography like Sony and Sharp etc are using. Hence, the clean reproduction.
    52mm High with a chrome finish, it is striking.
    Denon based the DVD-1600 on a Panasonic because unlike others, Panasonic engineer their own chipsets sans "chroma bug".
    Smaller companies may benefit from the huge economy of scale available to Panasonic, if the parts are good quality, it's good sense.
    Lotus use Rover bits to good effect, for example.

7. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No not yet.

I've been researching for what seems like months now.....!

I want to get a surround amp and surround speakers, but my specfications are pretty restricting, thought physically and not technically.....

I want a silver amp with DTS & DPL2 - I watch a lot of videod and satellite movies, so the DPL2 would be worth the extra over DPL. If neccessary, I can fit a standard size (ie tall, about the height of 2 seperates) in my TV cabinet, but I'd then have to put my video in another room (DVD, Sky box & the taller amp taking the space), so would rather a slimline amp. I considered the Pioneer VCX300S, but that's only 30w per channel, and doesn't have DPL2, hence the interest in the Panasonic.

Regarding speakers, I originally thought about getting Tannoys (2 x MX3, 2 x MXr and the centre one) - they're available in dark oak, which our lounge furniture is. Trouble is, they take up a fair amount of space; the room is not ideally shaped, so more discreet sattellites & sub would be better cosmetically. The Missions look pretty good, and apparently with them it's not quite so important on the positioning of the speakers (the TV is in the corner facing the opposite corner, so the sweet spot is in that corner, so they're going to take a bit of moving around to get the best placement).

Regarding sound power, I'm not that concerned about street-shaking, nose-bleed inducing sound, but I do like a quality sound; you know some systems just pump out noise, and others don't nesseccarily sound loud in an offensive way, but give a full, warm quality around the room (blimey, it's really hard to describe sound preferences!)

The chances are that the wife will just crank them up to distortion levels, but women don't seemed to generally have much appreciation or consideration of quality equiptment (sorry if I've offended any women out there, but it is true in my experience.....same with cars....they seem to fight against them instead of drive with them..... :D )

The JVC you mentioned.....is that a complete system or just amp?

8. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry; what does din mean when describing the power output? I know of rms & pmpo, but I was looking on the AVLand shop site, and they've got a load of amps with the power output in din (but not all, mostly Sonys, Kenwoods & Pioneer......)

Is 100w din less powerful the 100w rms?

9. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've not been able to find anything about this, even on the JVC UK site. Don't suppose you have a link do you?

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    http://www.jvc.de Also see 2002 JV...asurements are altered by real world factors.

11. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks.

Do I have to order the brochure, or do you know if it is online to view?

12. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry, missed the url at the top.....doh!

:blush:

13. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Got it!

It's nice;stylish, but I've already got a dvd player, and have pretty much decided to get the Mission FS2AV speakers, so it's mainly the amp I'm struggling with.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    What DVD are you using?
    You may find the performance of the JVC is better than what you have?
    If so you could always use it in another room.
    Do have a listen before you decide, it's your opinion that counts.
    Compare with a few of your favourite film scenes, you may be surprised, if you prefer the Mission pack, that's what counts.

15. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It's a Toshiba SD210E.....not top of the range, but not bottom either....!

16. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    Toshiba SD-210E excellent DVD player.
    The JVC system doesn't have the component video outputs, if you are able to use them, but it does have a 54Mhz video DAC compared to the 27Mhz video DAC in your Toshiba. You may not notice the benefit but you may expect the JVC to be better.
    So, two suggestions,
    1. Buy the JVC system.
    or
    2. Keep your DVD and spend £299 on a Sony STRDB1070, and £399 on the Mission 77 speaker pack, (773e fronts, 77c1 centre, 77ds rears), at Richer Sounds. Buy the two items at the same time to obtain this special price.
    It's only my opinion but if you can hear either set-up demonstrated compared to your intended items, you will be very interested.

17. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks.

I quite fancy the new Yamaha HTR5540 (Empire are doing it for £215); it has DPL2, which I don't think the Sony you mentioned does.

Speaker-wise, my wife is being very particular about which speakers she will alow to go into the lounge, and the Missions you mentioned were one of the first she disapproved of, along with the Warfedale Diamond Cinema's. She did quite like the Tannoys (MX3, MXr & MXc), but she still thought them bulky (though the dark oak colour fitted in with the wood furniture in the room!) I took her to Richer Sounds, and the first thing she said was "they look crap, nothing like in the magazine you showed me!" (that was all of the ones in the shop, by the way!) The only one's she like were the B&W 300 range, which look lovely, but are quite a bit more than I want to spend!

I think I'm going to plump for the Mission FS2AV set, as they're very discreet, and replies to some of my other threads all recommend them highly......

18. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Emanef,
    Good point, things often look different in the store compared to expertly photographed magazine images.
    Yes you are right about the Sony not having DPL2.
    I can't comment on the Yamaha HTR5540, I haven't heard it.
    The Mission pack your wife prefers sounds the way forward for domestic harmony. Listen before buying though.
    Happy listening...