Anyone know what lead I need to connect 6.5 mm stereo headphone to 3.5 mm stereo microphone?

Member 749941

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to record stereo audio from 6.35 mm head phone sockets, via a lead, directly to 3.5 mm headphone/microphone socket on my phone. So far I've tried several connections but none have worked. Anyone know what lead I need to connect 6.5 mm stereo headphone to 3.5 mm stereo microphone?

Mark beat me to it. Agree with the above.

What Phone is it? If you have a combined headphone/microphone socket, you will need a different adapter (possibly a 4x contact TRS jack).

The headphone output will be too high for a microphone input and will cause clipping and distortion I imagine?

What Phone is it? If you have a combined headphone/microphone socket, you will need a different adapter (possibly a 4x contact TRS jack).

The headphone output will be too high for a microphone input and will cause clipping and distortion I imagine?
It's Huawei mate 9 I've bought two 3.5 splitters with 4 contact trrs connector and it either doesn't work at all otherwise I get high distortion like you say. Any ideas?

You're getting distortion because the headphone out signal is 300-500 times greater than the microphone input requires - you need some kind of attenuator or use a different output from the device you are recording from. What is the device you are trying to record?

Also, I doubt the 'phone's mic socket is stereo, it will probably be mono. You may need to consider a different approach if you want a stereo recording.....

Last edited:
Just researching this a bit more for you....

IMHO, you be better off buying a stereo BT transmitter and connect it to the device you want to record. Then you can pair this with your phone and record the BT transmission.

Assuming you can get an app that can record the BT stream.... (I'm not up with the Android scene, so this may not be possible)?

This one has AptX HD stereo and should work with your phone

Amazon product ASIN B08H7X718F
You would need a suitable adapter to connect it's 3.5mm stereo jack to the 6.5mm one of the device you're trying to record, unless it has an alternative output connection, such as RCA (phono) line out...

Amazon product ASIN B007ZR1ZBE
Amazon product ASIN B00UADFMPU

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'm trying to record from an old record player and it has phono out so I've decided to try those into the USB c which might even go stereo.
51qdLzdphzL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom