Anyone know stock availability in New York?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by mdkdue, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mdkdue

mdkdue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi all
    I am off to New York for a long weekend next week and was just wondering if anyone knew what the situation is with PS3 availability there?
    Can anyone recommend the best places to look?, ideally i dont want to be forced into buying a bundle...

Thanks for reading! :)

2. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    I too am off to New York very shortly, so would be interested if anyone is managed to pick one up....and how do you sneak it thru customs ????

3. rangers

rangers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guy in my work is just back and says every shop has ps3 and nintendo wii.

4. sikersh

sikersh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I went over the New Year and there were no PS3's in the shops I checked, as a matter of fact there was hardly anything at all related to PS3, it was all 360 and Wii!! I picked up a few Blu-Rays and that was about it.

I'd check this site before you go just in case: www.itrackr.com

Cheers,
    Si

5. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,148
    No machines anywhere in Florida. Spent 2 weeks searching before I dropped on a store that had 3 literally just delivered - their first stock in weeks. Came back last week after our 3 week break.

All the Targets and Wal-Marts have the software - nobody has the hardware.

I was over also there for the PS2 and N64 launches and know all the tricks - none worked. Just pure luck that I got mine - right place at the right time.

I even considered ordering a $1000 bundle from walmart.com and having it delivered to our holiday home...

Good luck though!

6. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Was in Greece Ridge Mall in Rochester, Upstate New York at the weekend and one of the games shops (don't think it was Electronics Boutique) had a hand-scrawled sign on the door that said PS3s in stock...I somehow managed to avoid temptation, didn't want to get hit by customs on top of my dvd purchases ;)

7. 2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    My friend is in NY at the moment & he said that some of the small electrical stores have stock but are selling for $900.

8. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    I got back yesterday and they are available.

There are none in any Virgin stores, Circuit City's, Game Stop's, Sony Centre or the Toys R Us in Times Square but they ARE available.

There is a DVD shop near Radio City, face Radio City walk down the block to the left and its on the corner which had both 60Gb and 20 Gb versions for sale.

There was also a number of small electric shops which had them but they were asking silly prices, one quoted me $1200 for the 20Gb version :thumbsdow

If you get really stuck there was an DVD and music shop near NYC Library, face the library and go down the sidestreet to the left, which had a few 20Gb units for sale at retail.

Quite a lot of the stores were selling games and accessories though, Circuit City on 14th next to the Virgin store was particularly good for accessories (and HD-DVDs may I add because they had LOADS on display) and the Sony Centre on 5th had all the games but no accessories.

So they are there and there is more stock expected in the next week. I agonised over buying one and in the end decided against it because of the total lack of decent games and the no warranty issue. In the end I decided to buy the 360 HD-DVD player and loaded the suitcase with over 50 HD and SD DVD's which I was very lucky to get through customs at Gatwick yesterday as I was stopped and questionned but they didnt open my case - phew :devil:

9. mdkdue

mdkdue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks everyone for the info, and especially Hutch for being so detailed!... :smashin: I will definately follow your directions and see what i can find...

By the way, that was the other thing i was wondering about...are customs really checking alot of people coming off American flights right now?, as i really hope i can just get it back in my suitcase with no probs...anyone know the dimensions of the PS3 box?? :)

10. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    They were stopping loads of people yesterday morning at Gatwick, as I said I got stopped and questionned but they very luckily didnt open my case.

I wouldnt put it in my suitcase TBH, I brought my 360 HDDVD drive back as handluggage and if I had brought a PS3 back I would have done the same although I believe it weighs 7kgs so if you get checked they might object to it.

11. mdkdue

mdkdue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    OK, thanks for the heads up...very useful...;)

12. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    I want to go back already :(

13. carlg1979

carlg1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    got back on the second and somewhere on a thread on here ive posted a very long winded story of how i got mine sold out evrywhere, gamestop told me to come back in febuary i even contemplated buying one from the little electrical sotred over there for 800 dollars but spotted a que outside best buy on the corner of 45th and 5th avenue they had 25 delivered on new years eve they wasnt expecting them and they sold out in 6 minuts i got the 8th ps3 off the lorry so no matter wot people tell you there isnt any anywhere

best buy the first time i went in 3 days before actually offered to take my number and if they got any in they would phone me but i didnt accept the offer because i was only there 5 days but give it a try and dont fall for the scammers in the electrical shops my mate who cum with us bought a i pod nano and the thing dont work now hes got it back

14. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    I must have imagined all the ones I saw for sale then :rolleyes:

Look off the beaten path and you will find them.

15. IndianaBlues

IndianaBlues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Lol i came through Gatwick this morning, wasn't an officer in sight!!!;)

16. Buzz559

Buzz559
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from New York this morning, you can pick one up from the camera/electrical stores around Times Sq but they are asking $899 for the 60gb. Toy R Us had stacks of 60gb and Wii 's on Tuesday, seemed like everyone was buying Wii's and nobody buying the PS3's, they were however all gone by Wednesday. Asked the staff when they would get more, they said they would be getting more in any day, just have to keep checking back every day ( game section is downstairs). Good luck.

17. steve morris

steve morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    thanks for the advice mate - going on Monday and i'm hoping to pick up a PS3 whilst there :)

18. Chelski_4ever

Chelski_4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all the info. on here..

My mum is going out to NY on Thursday and I'm praying she can pick up a PS3 then. Would save me a lot of money

19. ndroo

ndroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wouldnt that mean you d be getting a NTSC ps3? so you'd have to import all the games right?

20. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    At the moment games arent region locked but I can see it happening TBH, Blu-Ray movies are region coded though so it will mean you have to import any films you want....

That was the big decider for me and the reason I didnt get one in the end, far too much uncertanty about region coding and games and the obvious lack of warranty when you import.

21. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm off to Florida next week.

If i find a PS3 and bring it back is it the US or UK customs that will charge me if they find out i have one?

22. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    UK customs are the ones that would charge you. Get a piece of hand luggage the box fits in and bring it through in that. Try not to look guilty ;)

23. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Yea get a hand luggage bag out it in there, dont look guilty as said and dont talk about cigaretes , dope, bombs or huge ammount of sex ... custom dudes get jelious when they hear sex.

24. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. I thought it was the US customs that did it. when i came back last year there was no one around so i'm staying hopefull for 3 weeks time

25. sikersh

sikersh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently came back from NY, I didn't get a PS3 cos I got one off eBay for £230 delivered (20GB, but a bargain non-the-less!!), I bought quite few Blu-rays, CD's and other stuff, when I got to Manchester customs I walked through and the customs people were stood just staring at us, I just politely said "Hi" and that was it, just walked straight through no problems, just don't try and avoid eye contact, look them straight in the eye!! or else they may think its something suspicous!!!

26. uksparx

uksparx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    How much are they retail in New York plus taxes?

MY girlfriends freind is going there on the 18th of Jan, just wanna know how much they are so I can give her the money.

27. Buzz559

Buzz559
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    60gb retails at $599 and sales tax in New York is 8%

28. mdkdue

mdkdue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Its strange how everyone is saying different things...some say its available and others say its sold out everywhere...
    Also, reports on maxconsole say that Gamestop are even having to stick signs up on the door telling people it is in stock and to 'pick one up today!'

I hope they are around..and at rrp...if i cant get one i'll have to settle for a 360 HD DVD i guess....

29. sikersh

sikersh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The console is quite heavy and the box is too big for hand luggage, so the only way she'd be able to get it back is to pull the console out of the box and put it in a bag (obviously well packaged to avoid damage through screening) and remember your only allowed ONE carry-on item and one personal item i.e wallet/purse. I came back from NYC last week and thought about getting one from there, but it was just to much messing around, so I ended up getting one cheap on eBay.

Si

30. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's strange because i have read of loads of people who have bought a PS3 in the US and have brought it back in the box as Hand lugage without any problems. Most of them haven't been charged either because they have wrapped it in gift wrap