Anyone know of a IR remote with timer?

5to1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Unfortunately suffered a break in recently, fortunately the alarm scared them off, but they still damaged the door which took a day to sort. Not to mention several visits from the police. I still don't understand why they attempted it, my bell boxes are prominent so they must have seen them, yet the scarpered after hearing the actual alarm :/ Waste of my time/money, the polices and the burglars aswell.

Anyway rant over, the reason I'm posting is this has prompted me to implement some additional deterents. One of them would be having lights activate at various times while I'm away. Since I have IR controlled light switches in most of the rooms, I was thinking some sort of programmable IR timer remote may be the simplest/cheapest way to achieve this. Only problem is I can't seem to find any :(

Does anyone know of any that exist?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks, either one will do for me. Ill just buy a couple, one for each room. Then can set them to turn lights in/off in series making it look like someone is moving from one room to another.

Thank you. :smashin:

The remote does not learn, there are various ways to add codes to it though, but it might be best to get one first and make sure you can get it to opperate the lights before you buy a handfull of them.

The remote does not learn, there are various ways to add codes to it though, but it might be best to get one first and make sure you can get it to opperate the lights before you buy a handfull of them.

Thanks, I've been reading up on other threads about the remotes and noticed they can't learn.

My lights can be programmed, so that would get around that issue. However, I currently have Sky remotes in each room (they all have TVs, with HDMI matrix distributing sources), the Sky remotes are programmed to control the TVs, thereby meaning I only need one remote in each room. I use the colour keys (don't use text) on the TV mode of the SKY remotes to control the lights.

So if the 8850 doesn't have codes for my TV I'd have to have to reprogram my lights for a code it has, and keep it as a second remote in each room to control the lights. That's obviously inconvenient, but without having a cheapish alternative I don't really see an alternative :(

The Marantz version of the original Pronto had a timer, IIRC.

The Marantz version of the original Pronto had a timer, IIRC.

I've had a quick look and it seems some of the pronto series do have timer capability. But I can't find any of the older ones and the more recent ones are pricey :(. I already have universal remote every one is used to, otherwise I would consider buying one and using it for both purposes.

The most annoying thing is I've now spent days fixing a door, researching CCTV, remotes. Fair enough if I didn't have an alarm with prominent bell boxes front and side, or if they were prepared to ignore the alarm. But the dipshits having seen the bell boxes, still spent ages damaging my door only to run off when the alarm which they knew was there went off :confused:

Rant over again and thanks for the pointers guys.

Thanks, I've been reading up on other threads about the remotes and noticed they can't learn.

My lights can be programmed, so that would get around that issue. However, I currently have Sky remotes in each room (they all have TVs, with HDMI matrix distributing sources), the Sky remotes are programmed to control the TVs, thereby meaning I only need one remote in each room. I use the colour keys (don't use text) on the TV mode of the SKY remotes to control the lights.

So if the 8850 doesn't have codes for my TV I'd have to have to reprogram my lights for a code it has, and keep it as a second remote in each room to control the lights. That's obviously inconvenient, but without having a cheapish alternative I don't really see an alternative :(

Sky (normal, + or HD) would be fine with the 8550, I have used mine with all three. TVs are pretty standard as far as IR codes, so I be pretty suprise if you can't find a code to work the TV, I'd get one for a ÂŁ10 and have a play.

Sky (normal, + or HD) would be fine with the 8550, I have used mine with all three. TVs are pretty standard as far as IR codes, so I be pretty suprise if you can't find a code to work the TV, I'd get one for a ÂŁ10 and have a play.

I think that's looking like the way to go. Worst case I can reprogram the lights to work with a code the 8850 has in its library for now, until I find a better solution.

I think that's looking like the way to go. Worst case I can reprogram the lights to work with a code the 8850 has in its library for now, until I find a better solution.

If you get one its worth getting the IR program, from below. It lets your pc set up the remote. It need a JP1 lead for 2 direction communication, but just to go to the remote you can use the wave file option.

JP1 Remotes :: Index

My suggestion would be using a phone/tablet as a remote!

The software will enable you to control your lights whe your not in & you ca set timers too

I have a Nevo S70, they have timer functions for IP commands, Z-Wave and IR. Not the newest of remotes now though!

Depending on your budget etc there's a new product being released by Global Cache in feb which has an astronomical clock, it's essentially the same as the existing IP2IR ethernet to IR device but it's a lot smaller and you can add time based events into the unit itself, so once programmed it's pretty much stand alone automation...

Depends what lighting control system you have I guess, if it's just IR controlled light switches then you'd need one per room and use a blaster lead, so if you wanted to do a whole house it could get expensive and you'd need power point to plug the device in... Not sure what alternatives there are though? Global Cache iTach Flex would be interesting to see if there is some kind of battery powered IR blaster timer!

Alternatively if you changed your switches to Lightwave RF you could use their app to set automatic times! Not cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either.

Why specifically astronomical, or is that the price?:)

That's not what the Wiki link says it is.
It confirms that an astrological clock is one that displays such things as the phases of the moon, as well as the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom