Anyone know much about Mifis?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by dougsdir, Feb 5, 2014.

1. dougsdir

dougsdir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im trying to find the cheapest way to go about getting infrequent use mobile broadband PAYG using a MIFI device.

Ive found that Orange do a free Huawei WiFi E5332 if i take out a 30 day contract at £30 a month.
    I thought that I could get the MIFI device and then cancel the contract straight away so I would only have it for a month.
    This would give me 5GB for the first month (which i wouldnt really need) but id have a free MIFI.
    The E5332 is selling for upwards of £30 anyway and 3G or HSDPA speeds are fine for me.
    Ive seen people on ebay offering an MIFI unlock service for 99p.

Ive looked at OVIVO , T-Mobile and Three PAYG SIM ONLY deals and all of them look quite good.
    Obviously Ovivo is a one off cost but with t-mobile if you go over their fair use limit they still allow browsing so that would be handy.

My question is, if i unlocked the E5332 would it definitely work on all these networks? I don't want to tie myself into Orange.

2. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    What mobile phone do you have?

I think pretty much all the networks now allow you to use your phone as a wifi hotspot (in the same way as a MiFi) and it comes out of your data allowance.

I'm with 3 on the One Plan and I get unlimited data, which includes 'tethering' (setting it up as a personal hotspot).

3. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I use a Mifi device on an infrequent use basis and this is what I do. I say infrequent but actually use it every week but only a few ten’s of Mb’s then use a few Gb’s when on holiday twice a year.

First the mifi device I have been using for a year or so was a 3G+ Huawei device bought unlocked from Amazon for about £70 (today’s price is about £50 for similar device) but I updated this last summer to a Alcatel Y800 4G mifi that cost me £60 unlocked from an independent seller and this model is currently available from EE for £70 on PAYG with 6G of data that has a 3 month expiry date but network locked.

I did not bother with buying locked from a network on a rolling 1 month contract as it appears to there could be catches like you pay the first month up front then have to give 30 day notice to quit and if anything goes wrong you might end up paying for 3 month before you know it but this might just be me.

For infrequent use I recommend getting a Samba mobile sim. You buy the sim then watch adverts and you are awarded 3.5Mb of data for every ad watched. The data earned never expires and I have on my sim 5.5 GB of data stored on mine that’s been earned since last summer and will be used when the weather gets warmer (apart from the few Mb per week) as this is when I use most data. In-between time I bought an EE 4G PAYG sim from E-Bay for £17 with 6 GB of data with an expiry of 3 months. This was a curiosity buy though because I just wanted to try out 4G and got a bit impatient waiting for the 3 network to start their 4G and as Samba use 3 for their connections I’m hoping to get 4G free from them soon.

Using Samba has saved me at least £150 since I bought the sim for £5 over a year ago and before Samba I use 3 network PAYG 3Gb sims that have an expiry of 3 months (when they expire I bin them) but these were £12 each but for some unknown reason have gone up to £22 each the past few months on EBay and Amazon now.

The downside to Samba is that sometimes there is not a lot of adverts to earn data but on average you can earn at least 1Gb a month and times like Christmas and Easter the ads increase so good for saving for a rainy day.

One other downside to using a mifi device and that is some or should I say a lot of the networks will not allow you to use your mifi with a sim meant for a phone as opposed to being for mobile internet, as an example with 3 with their 3-2-1 PAYG sim, this sim will not work in a mifi or dongle device but as mention above by Azzin you can tethered to a smartphone that has the 3-2-1 sim in so you can get data at anytime with no expiry for a penny a Mb.

Just a word on Ovivo, I use them for day to day calls and text and is brilliant in this respect but when it comes to data and them using Vodafone it’s a disaster and although I’ve been using them for 17 months now and has not cost me a penny I’m thinking of ditching them soon because I just can’t handle speeds of 0.2Mb/s on 3G even if it is free. That said if you’re looking to just use it for e-mail its fine as long as you don’t send any photos with your mail.

4. Zipper 1969

Zipper 1969
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I bought a Huawei E5332 open mifi in December and find it really good. I bought an EE data sim which was a really good deal, 6G of data for £19.99 for 60 days, however I donot know how to check my data usage and expiry date to top it back up, as apparently you cannot top up the data until either it has expired or used up. Can anyone help me with this please.

5. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you have Android device connected to your Mifi device got to the Play store, search for “EE”, download the app then run it and it will show your data balance and how much time before expiry.

The tablet or phone must be connected to EE over their network and not through home wifi for the app to work.

You can also do this via a PC on any other network but you have to register first with EE.

My EE - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  6. Expostie

Expostie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you use a mifi device on GiffGaff network with a data sim, so my iPad could access it, as an iPhone on Giffgaff cannot be tethered unless jailbreaked. through Giffgaff not being a reseller of iPhones.

7. KayCS

KayCS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I’ve not used GG for awhile but I don’t think anything’s changed recently so its Yes if it’s a GigaBag you buy but No if it’s a Goodybag with unlimited data however I think the £10 Goodybag with 1Gb can be used but I’m not 100% sure.

I assume though you’re using the Gigabags so these should be fine in a Mifi if it's not locked to any other network other than o2.