Anyone know if this is true......

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andypandy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've had a couple of DVD's recently throw woblies although they play fine on my PC DVD drive.
    I will be given replacements, but as an explanation I was told and I quote........
    "also if you are using a Sony dvd payer, they have the most sensitive pick lens because they do not have a self correcting pick lens function!"

Is this true ? I own the Sony DVP-NS905V - I thought one of the good ones out there !

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't know about the tech jargon but yes, Sony's are known to have problems because they deliberately don't put in error-correcting mechanisms which help players read PC-generated copies .. Sony's movie interests want to stop 'piracy', aka. people being able to play backups of their fragile DVDs, so they pressured the consumer electronics arm to dumb-down players.

Over time Sony's have a reputation for even having problems with 'real' DVDs as the laser starts to track away from true there's no error-correcting to help it.

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not sure if anyone else has come across this tweak for correcting disc read problems on PS2's, but I wonder if a similar mod could be applied to a Sony DVD player experiencing similar problems...?

Just a thought - I have no idea whether it is even remotely possible but someone may be able to comment...

K.