Anyone know how to replace this tap washer?

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have no idea on how to get to this washer anyone know?

Attachments

• IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
The "hot" doesn't come off to reveal a screw as normal? Hard to tell from the photo

If the top screws off, pull the handle up, then unscrew the piece below, then spanner on nut and voila, if not, new tap.

As above, I would imagine that the index can be unscrewed using the serrated edging. You'll then likely find a screw securing the lever. But I guess that's going to be a ceramic cartridge which has no replaceable washer, so you'll need to source a replacement cartridge.

They are many & varied so it will help greatly if know the make/model of the tap.

I didn't know if someone had seen this kind of tap, it doesn't seem to be the normal way the hot doesn't seem to lift off.

The handle does indeed unscrew but there is nothing to unscrew when its off, its got to be under the hot tab but cant see a way to lift it off.

Does the cover not undo anti clockwise to reveal the head/nut underneath..

Nope cant unscrew it or its just stuck on as these taps look old.

I'm nearly a 100% sure the top of the tap with the hot label unscrews and there is a screw underneath which gives u access to the internals and washer etc. That's why the edge is not smooth as gives u something to grip with some adjustable water pump pliers.

I've had similar taps with those tops which unscrewed.. needed to use pliers though as bit rusty and stiff.

Good luck.

Yes, the Hot Indices will either unscrew or pop upwards with a blade.

It's highly unlikely to be any other way.

Very rare but some pop off with brute force.

As already mentioned- it's not serviceable so it's either replacement 'guts' or replacement tap.

Fantastic it does unscrew took some doing as it was well and truly stuck, I see the screw now to undo it, but now you say you cant replace the washer so its not going to be a cheap 5 minute job, i have loads of washers, i will take it apart just in case you can replace it, i never knew that some tap washers cant be replaced.

Fantastic it does unscrew took some doing as it was well and truly stuck, I see the screw now to undo it, but now you say you cant replace the washer so its not going to be a cheap 5 minute job, i have loads of washers, i will take it apart just in case you can replace it, i never knew that some tap washers cant be replaced.
Just have a look, might be a washer might not. How long have you been working on this tap now.

Yes, but if the op takes the tap apart at least he'll now be a little more knowledgeable on ceramic discs, he'll see for himself. This information might help him in the future.

True, just to have a little look.

Taps have got very annoying - gone are the days of the 30 minute fix with a 25p washer.

Many taps these days are a challenge just to get inside, and when you eventually do, you will find a cartridge not a simple washer.

The industry seems to have no standardisation or regulation.

You rightly assume from the start that a visit to the bid DIY stores is going to be friutless so you go to a specilised plumbers merchant. They will share your pain telling you every manufacturer does their own thing each produces lots of different ones rather than standadising. He says that you best bet is to contact the manufacturer. If you are lucky he will be able to identify the makeof the cartridge and give you a contact number.

That was my experience.

So I then emailed the local UK agent of the Italian manufacturer helpfully listing all the numbers on the cartridge. They reply saying that they need a photo because the numbers don't mean jack. So I send a photo of the cartridge. They reply saying that they mean a photo of the tap, as it is the only way they can tell - seriously. They then reply with the cartidge part numbers confirming what they said - because they bear no resemblence to the numbers on the cartridge itself.

Do a bit of a google but only option seems to order from them - high prices and super-inflated p&p - cost about £35 for a pair of cartridges to fix a dripping tap.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
If you go for a decent brand name- Grohe for example, you just phone them and they often send one out FOC.

Same with Bristan, although the taps aren't as well made.

If you go for a decent brand name- Grohe for example, you just phone them and they often send one out FOC.

Same with Bristan, although the taps aren't as well made.

Useful to know for the future.

Problem is taps are usually chosen as part of a kitchen or batheroom installation and it often comes down to the ones that the wife likes the look at from the selection that the bathroom/kitchen supplier has.

More often than not you don't even known the manufacturer (even if it is Grohe or Bristan), the paperwork is often not left by the fitters so several years on when it starts dripping you have a job to identify what it is.

Cheers,

Nigel

I looked at you tube clip to see what the difference is then i thought why not have a look at the real thing, different from what i was expecting it does seem rather backwards seeing as its not just a 5 minute job anymore, i have plenty of tap washers which is no use for this house.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom