1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know how to have subwoofer sound in Yamaha "Direct Mode"?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gnikolaidis, Aug 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha RX-V657 receiver connected to a set of 5.1 speakers (B&W MT-10 speaker set). The subwoofer is connected to the receiver through the dedicated coaxial output. The receiver supports a "Direct Mode" operation, where all not necessary electronics are bypassed and output is diverted to the front L+R speakers. However, in this mode I do not hear any sound from my subwoofer and in fact no bass at all since my fron L+R speakers are really small.

The subwoofer allows either a dedicated coaxial input or connecting the outputs of the L+R speakers to the corresponding terminals.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to listen to bass in "Direct Mode" of the receiver?

Thanks,

2. dagmaniac

dagmaniac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 which has "Direct Stereo", I suppose this is the same as your "Direct Mode".

And yes, that's only stereo, so no signal to the subwoofer.

Sounds incredibly good on my system, but I have a couple of large bi-amped speakers :)

If i want sound from the sub, I need to select Stereo 7 Ch or dolby Prologic II music mode or something similar...

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Get a subwoofer that can be connected to the speaker terminals as well as the subwoofer output simultaneously. Any of the RELs will do this.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I thought that was the whole idea of "Direct"???

What you're after is 2.1, not direct.
    To get bass, I suppose that means getting speakers that do bass better :confused:

5. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If your main stereo pair are as small as you say, then using 'direct' mode is pretty pointless. All you are doing is sending them information that they have no way of reproducing.

Your receiver will almost certainly have a 'stereo' setting as well as the direct setting. If you use 'stereo' then the bass management algorithm in your receiver will still be active and you can direct everything < a certain threshold to the sub.

In an ideal world with ideal speakers at the front then direct may well sound wonderful. In your situation, you need the help of the electronics :D

Gary