1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know how the PS3 will output SACD?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by slackbladder, Oct 13, 2005.

1. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The PS3 will play SACD cd's on its release. However looking at the PS3 spec I'm unsure as to how it will output SACD. To my knowledge most players use either 5.1 analogue or i.Link.
    Now the PS3 does not have either but it does have USB, HDMI and optical (though as far as I know optical does not output SACD). So, what does the PS3 use? Any ideas?

2. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Doesn't HDMI support DSD in later, encrypted versions?

If so, that would seem to be the likely candidate, as they can't seriously expect people to channel "high fidelity" sacd signals through the electrical/mulit-out socket at the back of the device???

SACD seems like a bizarre inclusion for the PS3 btw. Is this confirmed. Wouldn't it just unnecessarily increase costs?

Also, you'd have to use a screen to navigate tracks etc., which is a major pain the ar*e.

DT

3. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for the reply.

I assumed HDMI would be the option as I see no other. The top of the range Sony AV receivers have HDMI inputs so maybe that's the connection to use.
    To my knowledge SACD was to be included when it was announced though it may fall by the wayside if it proves to be too costly. Link and Link . So I think it was in the original spec.
    Will have to wait and see if it remains there.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    SACD was meant to be in the original spec, however I very mcuh doubt we'll see it in the final version.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    It would be a good way for Sony to promote this dying format. Same way the PS3 will help sell more Blu Ray material, it could help boost SACD sales.
    DVD-A too for that matter.

Still, doubt sony will bother as it will add cost to an already expensive machine. Better stick with just Blu Ray.

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    What will be the point carrying on with SACD? When blue ray arrives expect an amalgamation of technogies, CD, DVD, SACD all rolled into one format. Blue-Ray has the bandwidth.

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    But does it have backwards-compatibility? :D

DT

8. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I already have an SACD DVD player and as far as I can see there are a lot of SACD/DVD-Audio DVD players around. Seems quite common. Probably does'nt mean much to the average consumer though. Dying or otherwise I still want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 plus around a dozen other discs. It'd be nice if the PS3 did SACD but somehow I doubt it.

The last I heard it does (if this has been discussed elsewhere apologies I've been too busy to read the forum properly) but there is a rumour going round that the first PS3's on sale in Japan next year will not. Something to do with the Blu-Ray drive and compatability probs. Personally it sounds like BS. But even so it could be true, I guess.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    If it supports SACD I bet it is only 2 channel analogue. I thought that the digital outs had to be turned off with SACD only analogue allowed?

10. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I think DSD or Digital Stream Direct is used as some av receivers have i.Link etc for Multi-Channel SACD. If the PS3 had i.Link it would have been that probably, but it does'nt. Perhaps it's USB 2.0? The PS3 has 7 of them I believe.
    Still, I think it'll be via HDMI but no one knows for sure...possibly not even Sony!