Anyone know anything about the Philips Q50 Progressive DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Technophobe, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After the excellent reviews and postings on this forum of the Philips DVD962SA SACD Progressive player I must say I'm tempted. While looking at Hivizones site I see they also sell the Asian version of the Q50 which seems to have most of the advantages of the 962 such as Progressive scan using Faroudja's excellent de-interlacing but at a much better price.

Does anyone own one of these and use the PAL progressive scan with a PJ or know of any problems with the player?

Technophobe

2. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Followed the escapades of Q50 users quite a lot when I was looking at buying one. The general feeling is that it is now a superb player (with the latest firmware installed removing the chroma bug).

Q50 owners who bought the new Philips 962 said the quality difference was not substanial, but visible. This is on the progressive scan outputs into a Panny 100.

If you can afford the 962, go for it. Bear in mind there are a few other players appearing now around £350 to £450 with the possibility of progressive scan PAL.

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks CoolioCat, the only other player I know of in the UK is the soon to be released Philips DVD963SA.
    What are the other options in the £350-£450 price range as it seems most of the other PAL progressive players I know of have compatability problems of one sort or another judging by the posts you see here?

Technophobe

4. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, most players beyond the Philips do have progressive problems. The Pioneer 747A, the Toshiba 900E, etc.

The Harmon Kardon DVD 25 is looking good for progressive PAL, but the firmware update is yet to appear publicly. I was told it is around in Norway though - all players there are shipping with it already built in.

A perfect solution is yet to appear, but things move on every week.

I'm looking into the Toshiba SDP2000 - which has a 8.9 LCD TFT and is the same price as the new Philips once you've imported it.

It has PROGRESSIVE SCAN out via it's component RGB port, and there are rumours it plays PAL discs... so i can't see why this won't output PAL progressive as well. The sceen does not go black - apparently - when you do, so either it is converting to NTSC, or it is PAL.

I'll try and get hold of a unit in the next few days to test.

The units are very new and i'm yet to see any imported into the country. But i know i'd rather one of those sexy beasts than the Philips :)

5. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So to sum up, the 962 is about the most stable option for the money with the Q50 next favourite.
    I suspect the 963 when it's available will cost as much in rip off Britain than it costs to import the 962 today.
    I think I have my answer it's gonna be a 962 since you say it delivers a slightly better picture and supports SACD.
    Thanks for the advice, all I need to do now is convince her indoors.
    :)

Technophobe

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13