Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Anyone know anything about my speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by danez, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danez

danez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just bought a pair of "Studio power twin reflex MC300" in as new condition they are big speakers, with 12" drivers, large horn and tweeter that has a heatsink kind of grill fitted to the cabinet in front of them.

I really know nothing about Hifi but a friend had them and my son wanted some speakers and i got them for £40.

Is there a company called "Studio power" or would they have been made by some other company and this just part of the model name.
    I have searched the net but can find nothing.

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    They sound suspicously like one of the many "White Van Man" scam speakers that have been doing the rounds for a few years, but i could be wrong and apologise if i am!!!

Adam.

3. Pbr

Pbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember these speakers from the 1980s. I don't think Studio Power exist anymore, but they were based in West Yorkshire and made a range of metal coned speakers, MC80 being the smallest and MC300 the largest. The ones with the heatsink grill were the original models, these were replaced circa 1989 with a restyled range without the grilles and with different tweeters. What happened to Studio Power after that I don't know.

4. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Whats the `white van man` speaker scam? I remember being asked quite a few times If i wanted to buy speakers from blokes in white vans :)

I regretted not looking at them afterwards as I needed new speakers at the time, but I dont buy stolen gear (I assumed they were/would have been stolen) sounds like my morals might have done me a favour for a change :thumbsup:

5. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    There are many articles about it on the web if you stick "white van speaker scam" or similar into a search engine, but basically, the chaps in the van tell you they have completed an installation/over-ordered and have x pairs of £1000 studio monitors left over that they need to shift and that they can offer you for £200 or similar.

Whan you get them home you will find that they are cheap, lightweight and contain about £40 worth of drive units. Very often, the manufacturer's name is also very close to that of a geniuine manufacturer and they mostly sound pretty bad!

One of the articles I read is by a chap who bought some with the intention of taking them apart and examining them thoroughly. The ones he bought appeared to have bi-wire/ bi-amp terminals but on taking them apart he found they were connected together internally! If you have tried to improve their quality by bi-amping tham, you'd not only have been disappointed, you'd have blown both your amps up! :eek:

6. smoke

smoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there you see your studio power speakers do you still have them and do you have any more ,are you willing to sale them?

7. smoke

smoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there about your studio power speaker ,do you still have them and do you have any more also are you willing to sell them?

8. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,832
    Are these stereo/HiFi speakers, or are they more like PA/DJ speakers?

From the description, I'm guessing PA speakers.

Any chance of a photo?

In the White Van Scam, the speakers are alleged to be something like $3000 speakers. Though the $3000 is sometimes changed to €3000 or £3000; we are afterall dealing with crooks here.

What they don't tell you is that those are 3,000 Hong Kong Dollars, which are worth about £250.

Of course, that is full retail price, you can likely buy speakers like this for half that again, so they are £125 speakers. But you don't need to buy £125 speaker out of the back of a white van, there are plenty of them in the stores.

The Rule is, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Though there are several PA/DJ style speaker similar to what you describe that are tolerable for their intended purpose. But in the end, you get what you pay for.

In your case, if you only paid £40 for the pair, and if the speakers work, you really can't go wrong.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,371
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, this thread is from 5 years ago :rolleyes:

10. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Started 6 years ago! Its not getting any older!:)

Smoke,You would be better off starting your own thread asking for opinions from any owners.Given the possible nature of these Speakers,I doubt that you will find any.

Perhaps,if you are interested in finding some Floorstanding Speakers,you should start a thread in the "What Speakers should I Buy" thread?

Good luck,

K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.