1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know a place where I can find out how to Diagnose a TV problem?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DaveH, Apr 3, 2001.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Dear all,

A while back I posted a message saying my TV kept turning on and off. I had an engineer come to resolder the joints as he thought this what was wrong with it.

It solved the problem for a while but a month later the TV started turning itself on and off again.

My TV has now been with the Engineer for a month now and is not showing the symptoms that it did when it is my house.

From what I have gathered, a SONY TV like mine (SONY KV28FD 1E) will turn itself off if there is a fault with the TV and the standby light will flash a number of times to tell you what the problem with the set is.

Does anyone know of a place where I can find out a list of the problems according to the number of flashes?

I really need help. Sony were unwilling to help me as the set was too old (2 years) and I cannot afford another as this set cost me £2200 and I expected it to last longer than 2 years. It's only ever on about 6 hours a week to watch a DVD!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Dave.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Try emailing the runner of this website http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/index.html he answered a question on Sony tv's for me quite quickley.

Goodluck

Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    The information is only in a service manual. The lights flash as you say to inform you as to what area the fault lies in, ie power supply.
    In your case I'd get the power supply regulators changed. Common enough fault, aswell as being dry jointed.
    Or there is an IC that could be at fault.
    They are a good starting point before it gets difficult!!!!
    Good luck.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the help everyone.

I got a letter from the engineers yesterday it is not good news, the TV requires dismantle and install/setup of a new tube.

My worst nightmare come true all for a sum of £497.97.

I have contacted Sony and they have asked me to fax over the estimate, my original bill before they make a decision on whether to offer assistance.

Lifespan of this TV has been a joke cost me £2200 and lasted 2 years and then was only on about 6 hours a week and that's being generous.

I hope they offer assistance because if not I cannot afford to buy a new set.

Thanks for everyone's help off of this site.

Dave

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: DaveH ]