1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone know a Backing up program???

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by buns, May 31, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a large store of word, excel and general text files which I need to back up so i can play about with the computer config......I used to use MS backup but ME doesnt have it......

so does anyon know a program which i can buy that will backup such data files onto floppies?

many thanks

ad

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Do you not have a CD burner? If not, you should get yourself one.
    Then get a copy of Norton Ghost and use this to create a ghost image of your hard drive and burn it off to CDRW.

Ghost is the greatest backup software going as it takes a complete image of your hard drive that can easily be re-imaged back onto your original drive or onto a completely new one.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont have a burner.......

half the difficulty is that the hard disk is messed up with all sorts of rubbish......so it may well need cleaned out.

ad

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
  5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the first difficulty is that to install a burner....i need to start playing with the machine......and it wont be backed up yet!

I need a utility that will back up to floppy.....

ad

6. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi Buns. If you're simply backing up documents to floppy, then perhaps "Copy" is a good backup utility? ;)

7. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey buns how many files are you talking about...just drag'n'plop or even right click the files (pressing shift for multiple select and then 'send to a drive'). Word files don't take up much space unless you've got bitmaps or gifs hogging space.

If you want a program to do it, buy PC Answers (or similar) and their cover disc normally has some backup software on it.

The only answer to a crapped up hard disk is to back up your essential files and wipe the bugger clean, reinstall the operating system and load on what you really need. Then buy Norton Ghost or Drive Image and create an image which can get you back to this clean config when you clog it up again.

You know, if Bill Gates invented cars we'd walk!:D

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would copy and paste......but their are a number of hunded files, some with bitmaps and jpegs upon......thats alot of floppies!

I'll go download something from sharereactor......

thanks

ad

9. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other way I have backed up stuff before is to upload it to my webspace provided by my ISP,not huge amounts I know but sometimes better than nothing.

10. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi
    I would NEVER backup anything important to floppy disk, they are just not reliable enough. I use another harddrive as a slave and just copy over to it what i want to back up. Like my 20 GB's+ of MP3's i would hate to lose them!
    Or like the others say get a CD burner.

BTW if what you are backing up is really important to you it does not make sense to back it up on the same drive.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is technically not my problem......it is my dads machine. He doesnt want to go spending money on burners and all cos he'll never ever use them.

Basically we there is a problem in that the machine wont shut down correctly......to get it to turn of, you have to hit a key, then the screen flashes orange and turns off. On boot up it always goes to a thorough scan disk. No amount of defrag or such has made any difference.

The machince is a 1.2 athlon but using a generic crappy psu....so im thinking that the difficulty may be a power thing.....but to have a fiddle......i need to get these files backed up somewhere!

i think this is going to be a case of alot o floppies....

ad

12. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If thats the case why not fit your hard drive into his machine as a secondary unit and then just drag and drop the files to yours as long as you have room.If you are worried about the power usage disconnect the cd drive when you connect the other hard disc and anything else like other fans etc.

13. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Can I ask what was the last thing installed on the PC (or what was last installed before this problem appeared)?

If you know then uninstall that piece of software.
    It might sort the problem.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm quite confident that it isnt a software problem. The only potential thing it could be would be the printer......but i think the problem was somewhat after the event.

As it happens.......the breakers tripped while the machine was on so turned it off somewhat rapidly, since then anything tried gives the same result.....a computer which wont turn itself off!

This sort of question was asked on avs......they came up with all kinds of suggestions......the power being a big one.

any other suggestions would be appreciated!

ad

15. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi
    well you could just make another copy of your files into a new folder. at lest that way you would have a kind of back up that should be safe unless you format the drive or something goes wrong with it.

Then after you have done that put in your windows CD and just reinstall it over the top of the one you are using now. It has worked for me in the past when things were going wrong.
    It might change some settings but you can change them back. And you might have to install some drivers again.

16. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone.

I'm going to be going through all the files today to see what i can do with them.

If i were to get a backup device.....is a burner best? Can you get a whole ghost copy onto one disc? Why not go for a zip drive or the likes?

thanks

ad

17. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi buns. Chances are, you won't get a whole ghost image on a CD. Best bet would be to use a separate HD, or a tape drive of some sort. (You could always buy my 100GB DLT jukebox that I have on ebay at the moment :D )

18. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Win98 had backup software built in and I am sure ME will be the same.

Don't forget the main files to backup are the ones you created ie Docs, Spreadsheets, pics etc. If they are no bigger that 5-10 meg then use backup as it will span across as many disks as it needs. One problem though is that Backup does not seem to be backward compatable and you WILL eventually upgrade to XP or whatever is out at that time (Probable XP 2100 ;) )

Norton Ghost is great for creating an image of your drive so if the worst happens and you knack you ME installation you can re-ghost it and it will only take 5-10 mins. The image size will depend on the drive data you are ghosting but if it is 700-800 meg could well fit onto a CD so long as you use High Compression.

If your HD is big enough you could partition it and ghost from one partition to an other. Or buy a new drive, which are fairly inexpensive £50 -£60 and ghost to that.

Good luck

19. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you just want to back up a load of documents, a quick and easy way is by using WINZIP.

Winzip

If you create the zip file on your floppy drive, WINZIP will also span multiple floppies.

In addition, the files will be compressed so you should be able to store quite a few docs on a single floppy.

Cheers

Laurel