1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone into realistic driving games on the PC?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stevenr, Feb 16, 2003.

1. stevenr

stevenr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried numerous racing games on the PC and all have fallen short by a large margin. I downloaded http://www.liveforspeed.net which is currently in development and am amazed at the quality of the physics and driving sensation this game delivers. Its only at v0.1 and v0.2 should be released this month. Much respect to the programmer, artist and musician who are working on this great game.

The 0.1v demo has 3 tracks, 3 cars and really good online multiplayer network code. A preview of 0.2v can be downloaded here http://www.bhmotorsports.com/getMovie/137 if you have a vrheadset then check this out http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/97

More movies can be seen here http://www.bhmotorsports.com/lfs/movies/ but I suggest any racing fans to download the demo, apply the patch and extra music.

http://www.liveforspeed.net/file_by.php?name=LFS_DT_0_1Q.zip

http://www.liveforspeed.net/file_by.php?name=LFS_DT_0_1PATCHQ.zip

http://www.liveforspeed.net/file.php?name=LFS_DT_0_1_Musicpack2.zip (extra music)

I need to buy myself a logitech Momo racing wheel now :D

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's pretty good fun this game. Is there anyway to get rid of the steering correction it applies if you are in a spin?

Cheers

3. stevenr

stevenr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not come accross this when using the keyboard. There is an active forum here http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=205 which might help in finding an answer. Im pretty new to the game but after 20 or so hours driving experience you can pretty much master the GTI... well just about!. Once you win a few races and earn 180 credits you unlock the powerful GT Turbo.

Its great fun online, offline with AI controlled computer cars, or against a friend online :)

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I can't get the online bit to work because of the firewall on the uni network.

Good fun though still.

I have got 7 credits so far.

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Any ideas how to turn off the automatic opposite lock? I'm trying to rag it around corners but the computer corrects too early and sends me into understeer!

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That's the problem I've been having.

I'm onto the 2nd car now.

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Running with the topic, are any of you familiar with Grand Prix Legends?

It is probably the last sim that I can run at somewhere close to its optimum frame-rate (only have a 'lowly' P2-350); but I still go back to it from time to time.

It was one of the titles that I bought with my MSFF wheel a few years ago, just after the PC purchase, and hasn't been off my hard drive since - and I'm still only running 'hotlaps'! :D

Should anyone not know, it is 1967 Formula One. No wings and lotsa slides - and now available as a budget release, I believe.:smashin:

8. koku

koku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grand Prix Legends was indeed the mutt's charlies :smashin:

Unfortunately, since I upgraded to XP I can no longer play it and this is perhaps the one game that I truly miss. Once I even managed to get a single lap round the Nurburgring without flying off the road!

9. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:
    Welcome to 'the club'! Or as you said: 'once' :clap:

10. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I´m running GPL with XP and no problems. You do know there is a version 1.2 patch and a Direct3D patch availiable. It looks great with the Direct3D patch and a high resolution setting. Huge online community still producing add-ons and plenty of online racing.

Ian

11. koku

koku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a patch? Crikey! iwilson, do you have any ideas as to where I might track these down?

Cheers,
    Koku

12. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I can also heartily recommend Grand Prix Legends. The physics model is simply amazing, and once you master it (expect to be crashing a lot for a couple of weeks) it's an absolute blast to play.

But the best thing about GPL is the online racing. There are always lots of good races going on that you can enter (similar to Quake etc - there's a 3rd party server browser and you just double-click to enter). The competition is fierce but fair, and it's sooooo exciting to race wheel to wheel with real people. The net-code is excellent too - on a 56k modem it works perfectly.

14. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now there's two terms that not even in my wildest dreams could I expect to see on the same page...

I mean 'master' and 'GPL', of course! :D

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Thrustmaster Steering wheel, cost only £20!! Hardly use the thing though- what's the best game at the mo?

I have RC Truck Racing, pretty good.

16. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I just started playing this it is quite fun I have 24 points now but need a lot more, how to I achieve points quickly?

The game it quite realistic, people are drag racing and everything.

17. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Does anyone still play this, I am getting quite good I have over 200 points and have customised my cars look quite a lot.

A lot of people have started drag racing its is pritty cool.

18. CraigSmith

CraigSmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play sports car gt, most realistic game ive come across, also about 4000 add on cars for it :)

19. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I still play this demo every now and then I got around 480 points and I can lap at arround 1:34/35.

20. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, Sports Car GT has one of the most convincing feels to it, I did a bit of racing in real life, I think GPL has too much physics going on.

21. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Heathens!!!
    ;) ;) ;)

Though I do find mention of 'realistic' and 'too much physics' rather amusing :)

Just messing, guys!

I would like to know what you meant by that latter comment though, Erpland.

And for the record, I don't drive - not unless it works on a Voodoo 2, Gamecube or Xbox anyway :clap:

Erpland, what sort of racing have you done, by the way and how do you find games (sorry, sims!) relative to real-life driving? I have only very limited real-world driving experience before I got ill, so I suppose games - er, sims ;) - often 'feel' good by meeting one's expectations of how a vehicle drives. Do the better titles have it pretty good or are they still a long way off?

22. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    On the whole I find computer car games are often unrealistic the cars either stick like glue to the road or they slide like you are on ice.

I find Live for Speed very realistic handling wise, the front wheel drive cars can understeer, the rear wheel drive cars can oversteer.

To launch properly (or burn your tyres like mad) you need to hold the clutch down in the first gear, rev the engine to disired RPM and dump the clutch.

I drive RWD in real life and it is surprising to have a game which feels right.

I now have got my Live For Speed demo laptimes down to mid 1:32's :)

23. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy572

I did a bit of Motorcycle Enduro racing and then 2-stroke Kart racing (different to the hire karts). Karting is underrated by car people but it is very close to the top Formula's like F1, 3000, F3, in the way they handle (very twitchy) and scream and the race craft involved.
    As for comparing games and real life racing, there is too much missing, especially gravity, and in particular the adrenaline and aches and pain!

As much as I love driving games, the problem is at the moment you cant get any useful feedback to the player. In real life whether you are a good racer or not you will react to the feedback from the vehicle, the brain is designed to deal with it (albeit slower than the pros and most experienced).

I didn't use the word 'realistic' I purposely used the word 'convincing' for Sports car GT.
    Take the game Ferrari F355 for example, it already assumes that the driver is 'at one' with the car and then does a good job of making the car handle and 'appear' to grip or not grip how it should, the races then unfold like they do in real life, with the way you can gain and lose time on the car in front working very well.

As for GPL, it seems to always be telling me how accurate the physics are, like 'oh look the suspension dives when you brake' and jerks when you change gear etc, when you race for real all this things are absorbed and you concentrate on putting your pedal down harder using your body strapped into the seat to detect what the chassis is going to do and getting it to its limit.
    GPL needs way to much time to get used to, sometimes it feels like you are on ice and when you spin the car its hard to surprise yourself by getting it back. I do love the game as something to mess about with though but would never use it as a sim to teach anyone.

So at the end of the day I think games developers should take it easy with so called realism unless they can wire up accurate feedback chair, pedals, wheel and even screen, and even then a gravity machine is missing, there is no point using real life physics with a 2d screen for people sitting on an office chair.
    Just look at how fast things happen through the camera above an F1 drivers head, you really need to be in the car with all round vision to race with that information entering your brain.

24. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Erpland have you played Live For Speed?

25. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    micb3rd

No havnt tried live for speed yet, whenever I see a link to a game demo or something I have to remind myself of all the DIY jobs etc that need doing :( Oh well I suppose I ought to give it a go, I'll post feedback later in the week, unless the Mrs catches me.
    :suicide: