Anyone into archery?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fat_Tony, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Hi folks

Just back from a fathers day out at the local national trust place and we all tried archery. We live on an old farm and have room to set up something similar.

The guy told me the bows cost around £60 or so. Ive looked online and found this set, it's fairly well reviewed so looks ideal, just hoping somebody who knows anything on the subject can take a look and advise, thanks

Petron Light Adult Compound Bow Archery Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    We have an archery/shooting range near us and we occasionally pop down for a few arrows. I would say that set is ok for beginners but if you get a bit more serious I would suggest spending several hundred. But see how you take to it with the cheap set. I love it and it's great having a Range down the road. Obviously indoors is better for accuracy.

3. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks for the reply,

It seems reasonable enough to test the water, ill need to sort a target aswell.

I can't see it as being anymore than a basic hobby, im just keen to avoid buying tat.

Ill read a few more online reviews before taking the plunge but it seems OK for our initial needs or until I can have the same sort Hawkeye uses in avengers :)

Ill try and post a video if we do get it incase anyone is interested

4. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    Do you need a license or anything to buy/use a bow and arrows?

5. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    I don't think so, they seem widely available on ebay and amazon.

Ive actually gone for an extremely well reviewed cheaper bow, with a few arrows, plus ordered a foam target separately.

I really wanted a paintball gun to use in our field but it seems they do require a licence or something as I cant find one anywhere.

6. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    Pretty sure you don't. Hunting with a bow is banned altogether. Obviously the same rules must apply for shooting an air rifle (no license required either) in that if its on your own land that there is no chance of any stray arrows onto others land.

7. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    Paintball rifles are widely available but you may have to be licensed to sell them as you have to be over a certain age to buy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,358
  9. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Wow that looks awesome, no idea how I missed them when I was previously looking. Amazon is usually the first place I look.

Ive ordered my weapons quota for today but thats going straight on my wishlist, thanks

10. MrSossidge

MrSossidge
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,754
    My step dad bought a compound bow of Amazon and told me it was rubbish. There was no tension in the string.
    He brought it round to show me. I pointed out to him he'd put the arms? on the wrong way round!

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would not buy a cheap compound. You need a compound to be the right draw length etc for you. If you wanted a cheap bow then get a glassfibre recurve bow. They are far more forgiving and easy to use and setup.
    Also bows are not toys and not sonething I would recommend using anywhere other than a proper range and/or proper club.
    That compound is just too cheap. If you can cancel the order. Join a local club and learn in a safe environment.

12. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks for the replies. This was the set up today, and the sort of thing we wish to recreate. I'm well aware they are not toys and the kids won't be near it unsupervised. I should have made a note of the sort we tried today, they were basic but effective. Ultimately it's for a bit of fun, I ordered from amazon as it can go straight back if it's no good.

13. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    uploadfromtaptalk1434920896013.jpg

14. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    uploadfromtaptalk1434920998078.jpg

15. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    uploadfromtaptalk1434921107210.jpg

16. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You used compound bows today? I am surprised by that since we would always give beginners recurve bows. Compound bows need to be tuned to the person in terms of draw length etc.
    I would still not recommend archery as a suitable hobby for the house. It is definitely something that should be done in a proper environment i.e. a club. So that proper safety measures are taken. It will also mean your kids learn not just how to shoot but also how to behave etc. to be safe around people shooting.

17. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    It wasn't a particularly professional set up, and they didn't adjust the bows at all between different people.

We live on a large several acre old farm, with various sheds etc almost identical to those in the pictures. Its not a case of doing it in the back garden and accidentally ending up in next doors cat.

I appreciate your replies as you obviously know your stuff, I'd given this careful consideration well before we tried it today. A friend of ours turned her farm into holiday cottages, trained as a teacher and does similar sessions for her guests. I'm sure doing it properly is a world apart from what we are hoping for, if it's something we enjoy we would perhaps pursue it further but being in a very rural Northern Irish village, im not sure there while be as many clubs and ranges here as you might have available locally in England.

I'm over cautious to the point of draining the fun out of things when it comes to my kids.

18. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    I would suggest getting something like this:
    Archery Set for Adults. Strong Bow: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
    You can also buy smaller ones for the kids.
    For arrow length you need to measure the length of your arm. Putting a pole in the centre of your chest while standing and parallel to the floor. Then extend arms forward along pole to see how far they reach. You want the arrow to be a little longer than your reach.
    Compound bows can have much higher arrow velocities compared to recurves which gives them far more potential for hurting someone. Also if you happen to dry fire compound it really does not end well (a lot of stored up energy in the limbs/pulleys). A recurve is far more forgiving. I started archery when I was 11 at school. Clubs can be hard to find in mainland UK too but worth a search to see if there is anything in your area.

19. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks so much for all the info, that's actually the one I went for, it was well reviewed and seemed better to risk 20 than 50.

We'll see if it's more than a five minute wonder. I need to look at a target aswell, do you think those foam ones linked on that page would suffice?

20. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Never used a foam one and can see it not wearing well in terms of the point you hit all the time. I think my arrows would probably go straight through but then my poundage will be more than you will be pulling.
    I have used something like this before?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Straw-Archery-Target-90cm/dp/B001DJAQ7O
    Works well and since it is bigger you can move the targets around the face so you do not end up shooting out the centre.

21. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks again, that looks more like the sort of thing I had pictured.

22. balidey

balidey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,540
    The sort of equipment you used and have bought it certainly good enough for having a bit of fun on your own land.
    You are obviously aware of the danger element, but another thing you need to know about is the length of the arrows. An archery club organising a have-a-go session will be checking the arrows are long enough for you, possibly without you knowing. If the arrow is too short it could come off the bow, rest on your hand and if you let go, impale itself into your hand.
    Not trying to scare you, but this is one of the few dangers where you can hurt yourself without knowing how or why.

As an archer, this is about as far removed from the sport as its possible to get, but we use this cheap equipment to give people a taste.
    If you get into it then the next step WILL be joining a club, and then you need to start spending hundreds. So be warned.

23. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    We've recently done pretty much what you're asking about. My folks have some land so we bought a bow, arrows, bag and targets, all for about £160 iirc (it was a birthday present). I went for a lesson to make sure the bow and arrows were correct, to learn the basics and make sure we could do it safely. As said above the recurve bow needs to be fitted for the person using it; length and strength of limbs, and the length of arrows so that you don't overdraw, which can be dangerous.

We also got a smaller setup for my two daughters (7 and 9) which was just a [small] bow and six arrows, iirc that was about £100.

I can't remember if those prices included the lesson we had at the club.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  24. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,494
    In the US on business at the moment and over the weekend I visited some sports stores - they are amazing compared with the excuse for sports stores we have in the UK. UK stores have almost given over to clothing and footwear. US stores have all that but then they have all the sports equipment and accessories you could imagine.

the attitude to weapons is quite eye-opening. There are loads of firearms - they are with an assistant behind a counter but only in so much that the flu remedies are behind the counter in UK chemists.

But air rifles, crossbows, bows - they are just mere toys so are in the aisles for you to freely pick up and inspect.

And there is some pretty fancy stuff just hanging there to freely handle, all cams, balance arms, telescopic sights, the lot.

I'm not sure I really agree with that free a culture but it was fun looking around.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  25. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Thanks for all the replies,

I know its a whole different conversation but I find the easy availabilty of weapons in America to be scary and ludicrous. I read several stories online this week following the Charlestown shootings and it was concerning how many people said that had the church goers been armed it would have all been ok.

Whats the world coming to when you can't go to a prayer meeting without packing heat?

26. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Unfortunately it is the mentality of a proportion of Americans that if everyone was armed then there would be no issues. Heard similar things after the various school shootings in the fact that the students should have been armed to protect themselves. Obviously can not see the problems with a load of teenage hormone ridden kids having guns. I mean nothing could possibly go wrong!!!!

27. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    Doesn't help with all the "kid shoots baby brother with gun found in mums bag" type stories.

Perhaps if they had armed the kid in the first place he wouldn't be going through mums handbag. Either way it's definitely not guns fault.

Crazy world.

28. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    What they need is a nappy with built in hand gun holster.

29. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    Didn't Henry VIII congratulate an archer saying something like "nice shot ... for a frenchman"? ;)

I don't think he would have got his bow from Amazon, but, alas, it's too long ago for me to remember now.

Bit surprised no license needed. Are not these things exceedingly dangerous?

30. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48,358
    They are dangerous, so are machetes. They are both perfectly legal to own, but if you carry one out on the street you could get in trouble.