1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone interested in controlling Pace Cable STBs from a PC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeHarrison, Apr 9, 2003.

1. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering producing an RS232 version of the Red-Eye Pace IRDA remote translator to allow the NTL/Telewest Pace digital cable STBs to be controlled from a PC or other serial port.
    If this would be of interest to anyone, please email me at serial@redremote.co.uk, and let me know what applications you might want to use it for.
    Also, if anyone knows of any existing PVR/home automation software out there that has the option to control devices via RS232 I'd be interested to find out more, so I can look at making the RS232 command set compatible (or provide info on how users should configure it) if possible.

(No, you can't do it from the RS232 port on the back of some Pace STB's, unless anyone knows different....)

2. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Mike,

The following link might be of interest to you with regards to software for home automation:

http://www.hth.com/snap/

S.N.A.P. is a network protocol that can be used for home automation.

Cheers,

Higgers.

3. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

you can find a lot of info on some of the different software/ hardware packages at www.automated home.co.uk

I use a combination of a homevision controller and ACE software on the PC with an 8 port serial card to control the amp and plasma via RS232. Amp is the most beneficial so far because I can interrogate volume and source.
    If I had Sky a STB with a direct serial cable would be good, maybe once I finish messing about with this lot I'll have time to watch Sky!...