1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone information on the new Sharp LCDs? (P and GA6 range)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jayo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Does anyone have any information/specs on the new Sharps? I have been reading bit and pieces about them for a while now but I cant seem to find any concrete info on them!

I see that tvandvideodirect.com are selling the new Sharp LC37P50E but the specs on the website (and on Sharps website) leave a lot to de desired.

tvandvideodirect.com say "A stunning breakthrough in picture quality, our new Aquos P series is the first and only LCD TV range specifically designed for UK PAL broadcasts." They also say that the panel is "European Panel Technology optimised for PAL/SECAM TV system"

What does all this mean? I'm guessing that it has something to do with the panel resolution mimicking that of a standard TV?

I also read somewhere that Sharp are bringing out a GA6 model (presumably to replace the GA5?) Is this just going to be a GA5 with HDMI??

Cheers.

Jayo

2. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably like a ga3 with hdmi replacing dvi

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Look at the Loewe Xelos A series and use its specifications as a big hint as to the GA6/7 specs ;)

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    GA6 replaces GA5, GD7 replaces GD1, P50 is a new concept entirely - 540 lines instead of the usual 720/768. Designed for PAL broadcasts, will do downscaled HD, to get CRT users looking for a flat TV to opt for this one. Those who HD isn't anything they're likely to bother with for many year to come, this is a perfect solution for dipping their toe in the flat screen arena.

5. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pjskel,

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on going hi-def in the near future mainly due to the fact that I live in an appartment and my only source for tv is ntl digital who (in Dublin) have no plans to go hi-def in the near future. I'm going to hit a few shops today and see if I can get a loog at one of these sets. If I find out anything interesting I'll report back. This certainly seems like a flat tv I would buy.

Cheers

Jayo.

6. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I was in Audio-T this week. They had just received some new Sharp LCS models (GA6 I think). I intend to take a look next week to check it out.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I saw the 'P' series in Hi Spek today and have to say I was impressed....it certainly seemed not to be adversely affected by a poor signal like the other LCD's on display.

If you are not interested in hi def then this looks a good 'un

8. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, theres something i dont understand. what is the point of whatchin HD material on such a (relatively spkng) small screen? 94cm screens (that's 37" in the dreaded imp-s), esp when you will be watching 2.35:1 movies, is gonna be so small!

i think that for a trully cinematic experience, you must go for a HD projector with at least 2m wide screen, seat urself comfprtably 3-4m back and enjoy like in the cinema. no pixels/screen-door effect (with DLP or ILA that is) like u wud have with lcd panel (and of course with the plasmas) and the size, well of course.

i am interested to buy the p50 though, to watch the footy on the telly, not for HD movies for which i fire my Tosh MT8.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not everyone has the funds for a 37" TV, nor the physical space it'll require - admittedly less than a CRT 36" set!
    Enjoyment doesn't necessarily come from having everything perfect - as many can attest with their 28" CRT TV.
    Equally, not everyone is into Home Cinema (Theater for our US friends).

Jayo - bear in mind that next year, HD-DVD and BR players will launch (more than likely) and the same for pre-recorded discs. So, if you'd buying something now, it's likely to be a 5 year purchase, so best to think how far up the HD ladder you'll be by then. NTL are about 12-18 months behind Sky, but if they see Sky doing very well with HD takeup, they could move quicker, esp if they're getting feedback from their customers that they get HD or they're off to Sky. Nothing motivates a compnay like the possibility of losing steady income hand over fist to a competitor.

10. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there wasn't one of these sets to be found in any of the shops I visited on Saturday! One retailer said they were waiting on stock (about 2 weeks)

Anyway, since this is not a hi-def set would I loose much of the information in a hi-def picture if i were to feed one into this set? I am not into home cinema in a big way. I want a decent sized screen to watch movies, the footie and play my xbox on (and to replace my clapped out CRT)

Jayo

11. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    That's bigger than my house in London - 32" is all I can squeeze into a Victorian 3 bed house!

H

12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thing is, you might not be into much now, but once the Xbox 360 comes out, and pre-recorded HD-DVDs/BRs then you might find things change.
    It's better to have and maybe use later, than not have and wish you had later. There's next to nothing in price between the P50 and GA6 - so the extra spent would be a wiser move, if you think of it as £x/month over 5 years, which is a typical purchase life expectancy.

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the sharp 32" PE50 today - disappointing to say the least. I guess LCD's limitations drown out the advantage gained through no scaling.

Go with the high-res panels. Samsung's new 40" and Philips new 37" are tops - the first and only LCDs which I have mistaken for plasmas such were the viewing angles and clean images. (and those models are much better than the smaller brothers too)

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I agree with you, which is why I fully plan to upgrade my projector to HD as soon as practical (waiting to see if 1080 turns up, more relevant IMO for projectors than direct view screens due to image size)

But people still need TVs to watch, and if there is going to be HD content, then I'd like a HD screen. I even watch DVDs on my TV sometimes, if I don't want to switch the projector on and the lights off.

15. jayo

jayo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True! I agree that's it's better to have it than want it!! I'll give the GA6 a look. superpixel mentioned the new Philips. I had previously looked at the 37pf9986 but was put off by the poor pq on 'normal' tv. DVD looked much better but still a bit blocky.

Jayo