Anyone importing the Toshiba HD-A1

nick00ie

Novice Member
www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=291&products_id=30707&.

They are selling it for $665.98 delivered on April 11 (not sure about import duty).
Seem's like pretty good value £380.

Would there be any issue using a HD US player over here along as my TV supports NTSC. I already have a US 400 disc dvd changer and no problems.

Also heard the HD-DVD's could be region free, not that it matters that much when they come out earlier in the US.

I know Blue Ray is around the corner but the PS3 can handle that if it ever comes out over here.

alan_t

Novice Member
at that price, you would get import duty.

Likvid

Banned
You could always tell them to write down the value on customs paper, most dealers do if you ask nice.

I beleive everything under $200 is not applied to import duty.

witters

Likvid said:
You could always tell them to write down the value on customs paper, most dealers do if you ask nice.

I beleive everything under $200 is not applied to import duty.
It's actually anything over £18. You get hit for 6% import duty & VAT. This includes the carriage charge as well.

Drew2

Novice Member
No word of these in Japan - typical Toshiba, but what's even more annoying is it has a Japanese menu system. Just don't figure!!:confused:

Dutch

It states that it is £369.99 delivered which implies that import duty and VAT have been included in the cost, and paid by Movietyme.

Steve

nick00ie

Novice Member
Even if it was not included its still cheap,cheaper than I thought the first hd-dvd player would be.
I'll be getting one along with Aeon Flux,Matrix and T3.
How do you think they'll look on the Pioneer 436.

More info here http://www.toshibahddvd.com/

John Hodson

Dutch said:
It states that it is £369.99 delivered which implies that import duty and VAT have been included in the cost, and paid by Movietyme.

Steve
Movietyme ship all their R1 DVDs from within this country; this should likely be the same.

TopMeTom

Banned
John Hodson said:
Movietyme ship all their R1 DVDs from within this country; this should likely be the same.
Wonder if anyone from movietyme could confirm that?

Taken from Movietyme site:
Q: I am a UK customer and an item I have ordered is over £18 in value, will I incur Customs charges when i take delivery?
A: Yes as a rule all items over £18 in value are liable for Customs Tax & Duty.
If you do have these charges please forward to us the original invoice that customs send to you along with the packaging that the item has arrived in with all stickers etc displayed, and we shall credit back all of these charges to your account.

Please note this is only applicable to UK customers only. Customers in other countries are responsible for paying local countries import taxes and are none refundable by us.

think that applies here????

David Allum

Novice Member
Dutch said:

Steve
On the other hand, from the MovieTyme FAQ:

Q: Are shipments Liable To Tax & Duty?
A: Yes as a rule all items over £18 in value are liable for Customs Tax & Duty.
Customers of this site are responsible for paying local countries import taxes / duty and are none refundable by us.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
About £60 , you'd have to pay for shipping on top of that too remember..

Barthez

this looks interesting, especially if its going to region free as well, may take a gamble on this as i can't wait to sit back with a beer and watch a hd-dvd on my th37pv500.:thumbsup:

stumpy77

Novice Member
philb said:
Mind you it is 500$$ at amazon.com equates to £285.How much would customs be?
Ive tried amazon .com in the past they will only ship to a U.S address .This will be ok if you have someone there you can ship it too then on to yourself

Timbo21

What about the voltage issue. US is 110 volts isn't it?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

Timbo21

I'm off to New York in two weeks. Pity it won't be available then.

TopMeTom

Banned
I think I will get one of these.I am quite excited.

God it sounds it!!haha anyone e-mailed craig yet?If not I will now?

Phil

Hey everyone

I almost imported a Sony 26" BRAVIA LCD after Sony of Europe downgraded the European model. I was going to use these guys:

www.myus.com

They're called Access USA and act as a mail forwarding agent. The pricing is very reasonable (considering you're getting access to previously US-only stores) and they'll even help minimise customs charges. I was planning to use them to later import a Blu-Ray player but money's pretty tight right now (I'm already saving up for a TV with HDCP so I can have the privelege of WATCHING the Blu-Ray player ;) )

TopMeTom

Banned
I just looked on that site.

So you would need to join=$35+shipping to uk on a 20lb machine=$90 which would make an A1 around £345ish?
May as well get it from movietyme.
Thanks a lot though.

Yeah, and you'd also need to pay for at least 6 months of membership I think. So it'd only be useful if some US-only site had a REALLY good deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published