1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone hiring out a colorimeter in the UK?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stubied, Oct 4, 2004.

1. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I would really like to set-up the white balance on my seleco properly but am not able to afford a colorimeter.
    Is there anywhere in the UK that hires them out?

Cheers in advance,
    Stuart.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Not sure if that includes shipping or VAT but I'd think by time you've paid for that you could have had myself or Piers over to do it for you. Not as much fun of course....

Gordon

4. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is white balance not in the eyes of the beholder so to speak?

John

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    No it's not. The NTSC, PAL and HDTV(ATSC) colour systems have specific specifications for amongst other things the colour of grey(black and white).

The record playback chain requires that these criteria are met so that you see the actual image they intended when the recording was made or when the transfer of film to video was done. Iif accuracy is your goal then you need to set your display up correctly to match these criteria. Whether you like an accurate image is another question but there are standards set down....

Gordon

6. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So why do we use different temperatures for white?
    Or is 'white' a set standard temp?

John

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The term temperature is, unfortunately, not a great way of describing this even although it is now common use...so I'll continue using it, sorry.

White in the standards I have mentioned is described as a point in a colourspace chart made by a french engnineering society called the CIE. The temperature of that point happens to be close to 6500K however there are many points on this chart that measure 6500K.

The colour of white you would use when displaying graphics from a PC is around 9300K.
    The colour you would set white to for a monitor that would be used in a film studio (ie you'd be recording it on film and you'd want what appeared on the TV to look accurate) would be around 5400K.

So you can see that depending what you are doing depends on what setting you would use. Now the confusion gets more because many manufacturers have 6500K settings on their displays but these are often not the "correct" 6500K. This is because the correct calibrated setting is often dimmer than their own.

TV sets in most showrooms and out of the factory have temperatures in excess of 8500K (many over 10000). The public are used to this so some folk may prefer the cool settings on their display even although it's not correct. Once your display is calibrated to match the monitoring device standard for the material you are watching you start to see how natural and real it looks, bringing out a sense of depth and perspective to the image that is often missing.

So you are correct that there are several settings for white but there is only one which is correct for PAL, NTSC, HDTV(ATSC)

Gordon

8. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my main worry is that my projector is around 6 years old. I only purchased it a few months ago, so I'm reckoning that with wear on the tubes the white balance will be out of spec!
    Am I right in assuming this? I'm just trying to wring out as good a picture as I can get without too much cost.

Stuart.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Even without wear the white balance is likely to have been out of spec. With a front projection system you need to consider the screen and room as part of the display system as they will affect the colour of white being reflected off the screen. Not only that different mechanical and electrical set up of a crt projector will affect its greyscale.

You may find that getting hold of a device or person who knows how to use it could prove worthwhile in your situation.

Gordon

10. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Approx. how much would I be looking at for a home visit and professional setup from yourself Gordon? I take it we are not talking about the price of a few :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :)

I live in Huntly, Scotland.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I'm in Scotland too....well actually right now I'm sitting in a Hotel on Brighton promenade having a beer and making use of the wirless access...but I am based in Scotland. Email me
    convergentav@btinternet.com and I'll send you a list of questions. Give me the answers to those and I'll get you a good price.....

Gordon

12. stubied

stubied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. :thumbsup: