1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here using Zoomplayer?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tryingtimes, Nov 6, 2001.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Is anyone having luck with this or is it another tweakfest.

I am looking forward to the simplicity of the TheaterTek player but I need something to put on my new machine in time for the projector install.

As whatever I use at the moment may be temporary I don't particularly want to fork out for win/powerdvd especially as new versions of those are also imminent!

Alex

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Alex,

I have used Zoomplayer, I wanted to like it but it doesn't have the simplicity that I like about WinDVD, the major problem for me is that I have never been able to get DD or DTS passthrough using any Directshow player and I have tried using all the different Microsoft OSes!. It must be my sound card I guess. You will now understand that I'm a little nervous about spending $70 on yet another Directshow player (TheaterTek) that probably won't work for me either.

Jeff

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I'm getting a bit fed up of software that isn't designed with ease of use in mind.

One of my biggest concerns with my HC setup is that I want it to be usable by my wife and guests.

This was one of the reasons that I've been reading about the theatertek with much optimism.

Haven't any of the beta testers got your soundcard or are they all on SB/M-Audio?

I'm looking forward to the day that I manage to create a PC that doesn't even know it's a PC - I'm currently looking into the possiblility of creating a fully dynamic Flash/Director Kiosk frontend to drive everything. I'm just hoping that it won't cause problems during dvd playback.

How are you getting on with Talisman?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Once you have everything programmed into something like a Pronto the frontend becomes just a pretty picture. If SDI lives up to my expectations I might shell straight into DScaler. No more bug ridden software DVD players :)

Jeff

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Any luck finding a reasonably priced Sky SDI mod?

6. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi there,

Jeff - What soundcard are you using....I have had Zero probs with my Fortisimo I.

I've tried both WinDVD 3.1 and Power DVD 4 (XP) (net downloads)and they seem quite good....but i still get better PQ with the ATI player (4.1) and my VE !

Yet to try the Cinemaster 4 (though i have a copy).

cya,
    Lee

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I have a Terratec EWX 24/96 (very similar to the Maudio Audiophile).
    I tried PowerDVDXP last night, no problems at all with DD or DTS so maybe there is hope yet.

Jeff

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    PowerDVD XP 4.0 finally works for me and resolves the problems I had in the past with older versions and other players.

I could not get Zoom player to to use SPDIF and it looks that this is a problem not directly related to Zoom. Microsoft MediaPlayer is the similar solution and it can't do SPDIF. This is even cocumented on Cyberlink web site.

Configuration is W2K, Radeon VE, DeltaDio -> D-ILA + Yamaha-Bryston-M&K S-150 & MX-350.