Anyone here use Airplay with Chromecast Audio?

musketman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Short story: I bought an old CCA so that I can stream Apple Music from my iPhone.

Just two hiccups:
(i) In the Google Home app, under 'Music', I can see the Apple Music icon, but it just plays some random track from Apple Music. How can I choose what I want to listen to?
(ii) When I try to cast from Apple Music, I get a window asking for my 'Airplay code'. Apparently it thinks I'm casting to a TV and that I should be able to find a code onscreen. Except that there is no screen. Impossible to continue beyond this step.
I'm wondering if the problem is with Airplay on my phone rather than the Chromecast, or it could simply be that the two don't play nicely together. Or perhaps there's something obvious that I'm missing?

If anyone out there is managing to stream Apple Music from an iPhone to CCA, please please tell me how you're doing it before I go nuts!

Trying to get an Apple device play nicely with a Google device - you like making life hard for yourself don't you?

This might help

Yes, in retrospect that is a bit daft. You have confirmed my suspicions.

At least the article has shown me how to cast from a browser - so many thanks for that! I've ordered a Yamaha WXAD-10 but won't get it for a few weeks. Might try out a Wiim or Belkin puck in the meantime.

The free Logitech Media Server can do similar to AirParrot, ie, act as an AirPlay receiver & stream the audio out to Chromecast devices. However, there likely will be a 1 or 2 second delay and you need to run LMS on a computer (a Raspberry Pi will do).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What's the DAC like?

It absolutely fine, probably on par with the kind of DACs you'd find in most mid priced streamers.

There's also the larger AirPort N Express Base (A1392) which supports AirPlay 2 and also measures well. Although if you only have the one AirPlay device I'm not sure AirPlay 2 offers much benefit — the main advantage as far as I can tell is multi room/speaker support. For £6 the A1264 model is the better bargain though, it's also more compact.

Last edited:
I've just picked up a 1st gen Airport Express. Rather more than £6 in these parts but there you go. It sounds a little thin compared to my CD but will do nicely until my WDXA-10 arrives. Will be selling on the CCA. Many thanks to all for helping me out.

An update, for the sake of completeness: the WXAD-10 arrived and worked straight out of the box. No complaints about the sound either: much fuller and more satisfying than the previous two options ^^. All in all, it's a great solution for anyone looking to breathe new life into an old system.

I’ve just spotted the insane prices Chromecast Audio pucks are fetching.

I’m an iPhone user, i do have YouTube Premium so it streams to the CCA fine, but I’m wondering if life would be easier (and a nice way to get a few quid back) swapping out to one of these Airport Express units instead?

I’ve just spotted the insane prices Chromecast Audio pucks are fetching.

I’m an iPhone user, i do have YouTube Premium so it streams to the CCA fine, but I’m wondering if life would be easier (and a nice way to get a few quid back) swapping out to one of these Airport Express units instead?
I did try the Airport Express but wasn't impressed with the sound quality. Perhaps just my imagination.

I did try the Airport Express but wasn't impressed with the sound quality. Perhaps just my imagination.
Thanks for that, think it seemed daft to go backwards tech wise so I’ve just bought a Google Nest, sold my Chromecast Audio and still got enough change for an IKEA hot dog.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom