Anyone here tried Philips DVD-963SA 1080i firmware ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gringottsdirect, Aug 5, 2003.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd be tempted if I had one of these - it may improve the picture (reduce scaling artifacts) on Alis plasmas.

3. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I may be tempted to give this a go... but as I seem to have one of the few flawless 963SA in existance, will probably pass.

AFAIK though, while the Faroudja in the 963SA has always been capable of this level of scaling, the DAC's at the video end on the 963SA don't have the required bandwidth for this though.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm tempted as well, but too scared to try it. :)

5. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm not going to bother - firmly in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it camp" here.

The 963SA would have to upscale, only to be downconverted by the AE-300 so seems a bit pointless. Would give it a go if my proj. had a higher vertical resolution.....

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Er, is the 963 a bit of a dog then? I have a *touch wood* perfectly functioning AE100 and 963SA combination - should I buy a lottery ticket too?

What are the current other options for PAL progressive? I've been away from the boards since just after getting my 963

7. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Er, is the 963 a bit of a dog then?

Some people seem to have issues with green strips and grain.

Mine - purchased direct from Holland back in November 2002 - is still capable of blowing me away with its stunning PAL-P picture though..

There do seem to be a few bad'uns knocking about, but if you get a good one, I don't think you can get a better player for the money.

Worth noting that What HIFI rate the 963SA as a 5 Star SACD player in its own right......

8. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth - my 963 has been faultless since purchase and delivers a superb picture with AE100.

I got the opportunity to home demo the Denon 2800 and Arcam DV 88+ in my set up and I was far more impressed by the Philips machine.

What does the new firmware do exactly?, new menu features etc?

Cheers

Tim

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    I'm tempted to try this but before I do can anyone please confirm that my player will still be region free and have Pal progressive enabled after the new firmware is installed? Mind you if using 1080i I suppose PAL progressive isn't really needed is it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    can anyone please confirm that my player will still be region free and have Pal progressive enabled after the new firmware is installed?

I don't think anyone here can, as we are all to scared to try it :)

Pop along to AVSForums where theres a big thread - seems that most people reckon its not worth doing, and a few seem to have lost their MR capabilities as well...

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Has it got a seamless layer change?

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,056
    Tried the 1080i firmware this evening, put the old firmware back on straightaway! Green stripes on left hand side, red blodges all over the place, very strange.... good news is installing that and going back to the original firmware didn't lose the multi region or pal progressive settings so all back as it was now. Wouldn't recommend the firmware to be honest. Now more impatient to get my replacement Momitsu (480p just doesn't cut it anymore!).

Cheers,
    Andy.

13. vukture

vukture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All 963s have green stripes, it's due to a bad design in the video filtering stage (like noisy DC power or something like that). Now, some players have the stripes displayed more prominently than others. Now, almost all players will have the stripes when the 1080i signal is enabled (I have a US model manufactured in April 2003, no green stripes out of the box, I installed the 1080i firmware and the green stripes appeared on 1080i. I switched back to 480p and put up some test patterns, the stripes were there but very faint and hard to notice. So I got my soldering iron out and removed/bridged the inductor on the progressive scan board as discussed in avsforum. Bingo, the stripes have now completely gone from both 1080i and 480p/576p. Anyone playing around with the 1080i formware should do the inductor mod. Apprently there is a tech. bulletin sent to Philips service centres to check the inductor so Philips have (kind of) acknowledged the problem.

Now, about 1080i, it's cool and it seem sto give a good picture on a 42" 5UY plasma. However, when playing 1.85:1 material (e.g. no black bars) there is a translucent rectangular border at the bottom of the screen so that's a bit of a bummer.

14. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

I can confirm Philips knows about the green banding problem as my 963SA was sent back to them and came back fixed and now its stunning.

Not so sure I want to try this version of the firmware though.

What are the benifts apart from resolution and will I notice a big improvement in picture quality on my HS10 projector.

Klippie.