1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here own a SVS B12-plus/4 sub ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Rip, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Some of you may know from another post that i am saving towards a B&W 850 sub, but i have been reading about this SVS B12-plus/4, & it sounds very interesting. Does anyone out there own one, & have you been able to compare it with the B&W or at least have a opinion as to the performance diffrence in these two subs ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So far as I'm aware there are only a couple in the country and neither belong to forum members although "bonedaddy" has listened to one.

Judging by specs and reviews the much cheaper and smaller PB12-Ultra/2 here and reviewed by Secrets of Home Theater here would be a close match to the B&W 850 whilst remaining significantly cheaper.

The above with the addition of the forthcoming Velodyne SMS-1 room equalisation gubbins (out in the Spring at about £425) will give bass of power and quality that would be difficult to match at under £2,000.

With apologies to any dealers reading but don't forget that the first grand of any three grand sub is their slice of the action which is why the direct purchase from the manufacturer is so attractive, especially when the manufacturer is American and the dollar is so weak.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,156
    Having owned the SVS PB-12 Plus 2, and now being the owner of a B+W ASW850, I would be extremely surprised if the daddy of the SVS range didn't trounce the 850....although the B+W offers brutal performance, the B4/Plus will certainly extend lower. Depends on how much an issue space is, and aesthetics etc...

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SVS PB12-Ultra/2 should do the trick also, a little more 'human' than PB12-Plus/4.
    It has two of the "world elite" TV12 "Ultra"-drivers, as B4+ has 4 of the Plus ones.

5. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so it seems the general opinion is that the SVS B12-plus/4 is a more powerfull & all round better performer than the B&W 850, it must be one hell of a beast then :eek: . I am a little surprised tho really that no one here owns one ?

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you could be the first one. :D

They have a few in storage right now, I believe after that there might be little delay for changing the enclosure manufacturer. But ask elcid, he has two of those bass tranducers.

7. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ian J, I checked the size's of both the subs.

A&W ASW850
    Height: 529mm (20.8 in) not including removable feet
    Width: 562mm (22.1 in)
    Depth: 522mm (20.6 in) including grille and controls
    Net Weight 45kg (99 lb)

SVS PB12-Ultra/2
    Height: 26 in
    Width: 19 in
    Depth: 29 in
    Weight: 190 pounds

when you say the PB12-Ultra/2 is much smaller, what do you mean exactly ?

8. Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    He meant PB4+ vs. Ultra/2, not B&W.