• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone help with faulty amp pls?

Johnson23

Standard Member
Hi, please can anyone help with fault diagnosis? I have an exposure xxv rc integrated amp and decided to connect it to my pioneer sc-lx83 receiver to improve stereo sound through my ht system. The speaker connections were also connected to the high level of my sub woofer. I did an mcacc set up test on the pioneer sc-lx83 and now the exposure xxv makes a loud humming noise even with only the speakers connected and volume to min. A relay in the amp used to click before it was ready to go. Now it just makes a loud noise as soon as you turn it on. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

Johnson23

Standard Member
Hi Reddish75, thanks for your reply. I'll contact exposure and see what they say. Has been a great amp. Had it since new since around 1997. All the best.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
First how did you connect the amps together?

Next, separate the amps, and try them unconnected to each other. Does the amp giving you the problem STILL have that problem? If not, then there is something wrong with the way in which you have interconnected the amps. If the amp now has a problem when separated from the other amp, then likely something has broken in the amp. The only real way to tell it to describe the symptoms of the problem amp as it stands on its own unconnected to the good amp.

Finally, there are a lot of details the we can't determine without being there. Did you connect them correctly? Have you selected the right inputs? Have you set the volume to a balance sound level setting?

So, amps are very touchy as to how they interact. For example, I have a Yamaha amp pre-amped and driving a smaller Onkyo amp to drive a second set of speakers. If I turn the Yamaha (master) on first then turn the Onkyo (slave), the Yamaha shuts down. However, if I turn the Onkyo on first, then turn the Yamaha on, everything works fine. Just an illustration, of how complex the interactions can be.

The first thing to do is separate the equipment, and try the problem amp in the most basic configuration. This should tell you if the amp is faulty or if there is something wrong with you interconnects. It is possible that you have connected Input to Input, or Output to Output, or that you have some unexpected ground-loop problem.

There is a limit to what we can say without having eyes on the situation.

Steve/bluewizard

Johnson23

Standard Member
Hi Steve/Blue, thanks for the reply re my amp. I had connected the f r speakers (that also had a high level 3 wire connections for my sub attached, as BK instructions, to my XXLS 400) to the exposure amp. Re the interconnects, I connected the front pre outs of the
Pioneer to the Aux2 connection of the exposure. Volume on pioneer was -42db and the exposure was about 1/3. I think the sub and pioneer would have both been on before I turned on the exposure.
Normally, when you turn on the exposure, a red light 'safety feature' lights up for a couple of seconds, then you hear a click, the light goes out and then its ready to go.
Now, even with only the speakers connected, the red light stays on all the time and there is a loud humming noise from the speakers, even with the exposure volume to min. It's a shame because I've had the amp for 15 years from new and have loved it. I realise that blind diagnosis is very difficult and that it will probably have to go away for repair. Thanks for any help though. Andy

D.D.D.

Established Member
Now it just makes a loud noise as soon as you turn it on. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks
Do not turn it on anymore - you can make more damage to it.
It is impossible to diagnose the problem not having amp on the table.
Search for quilified service...

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom