Question Anyone help with baffling error?

DidesCharlie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have tried googling in vain and approached Nintendo support (no reply), and am hoping that someone here can help or at least point me in the right direction. For no discernable reason that I can understand, my daughter's Switch is all-of-a-sudden displaying the "This user cannot play this software" box on any downloaded game. I understand this is usually to do with primary accounts, but we only have this single Nintendo Switch and only have my daughter's account on it. Some games upon attempting to play them display a box that says "the software data is not downloaded. It will be downloaded now" but clicking the download button just brings up a subsequent box that says "The download was stopped because an error occured - Please connect to the internet" Then says "The user that purchased it no longer exists on this console" As I've said, this is the only Switch we have, bought new Christmas 2018.
Just to clarify also, I have logged in to my account via PC, deregistered the Switch and then relogged into the eshop to be the new registered primary user, but the problems remain the same.
Hope someone can help or guide.

Try
1) System Setting > Data Management > Manage Software> Game title > check for corrupt data
2) Delete the game then redownload from the eshop
3) Last option reset the Switch & setup again from scratch (be sure to back up saves to the cloud).

Try
1) System Setting > Data Management > Manage Software> Game title > check for corrupt data
2) Delete the game then redownload from the eshop
3) Last option reset the Switch & setup again from scratch (be sure to back up saves to the cloud).

Hi - thanks for the reply.

1) - checked that - there is no corrupt data
2) - I cannot redownload as the eshop account claims I have made no downloads yet - I'm getting welcome emails from Nintendo to the same account that I have received all my purchase receipts over the pat year or so!!! The only way I can redownload is to pay for the games again. Even my account, which had a rump of a few pennies from previous purchases, is now showing £0.00
3) Don't want to try such drastic tactic yet, worried about 2.

Hi - thanks for the reply.

1) - checked that - there is no corrupt data
2) - I cannot redownload as the eshop account claims I have made no downloads yet - I'm getting welcome emails from Nintendo to the same account that I have received all my purchase receipts over the pat year or so!!! The only way I can redownload is to pay for the games again. Even my account, which had a rump of a few pennies from previous purchases, is now showing £0.00
3) Don't want to try such drastic tactic yet, worried about 2.
Sounds like the issue is the email...like someone has hacked your Nintendo account & changed the email address that is linked to the account that made the purchases.
ie
You made the purchases on [email protected] & were using it to play on your daughter’s Switch as primary Switch.

If I somehow got into your account & changed the email on the Nintendo account to [email protected], then the account is now wrong on your daughter’s Switch. When you login as [email protected] it’s seeing you as a new blank user account rather than the account which bought the games (ie now under the control of hippo@gmail).

Sounds like the issue is the email...like someone has hacked your Nintendo account & changed the email address that is linked to the account that made the purchases.
ie
You made the purchases on [email protected] & were using it to play on your daughter’s Switch as primary Switch.

If I somehow got into your account & changed the email on the Nintendo account to [email protected], then the account is now wrong on your daughter’s Switch. When you login as [email protected] it’s seeing you as a new blank user account rather than the account which bought the games (ie now under the control of hippo@gmail).

Suppose possible, but I have checked and the only email to be seen on my Nintendo account is my own correct email address, same as on the switch.

Suppose possible, but I have checked and the only email to be seen on my Nintendo account is my own correct email address, same as on the switch.
Does that Nintendo account online show the correct amount of credit/funds left?

Does that Nintendo account online show the correct amount of credit/funds left?
No - like I said it's a completely blank account download-wise, but does show all my correct personal details, username etc. All I have to prove I have bought the games in the past is the email receipts and the play history on the actual Switch predating this error occuring.

I'm getting some indication of what may have triggered all of this is my daughter (she's 8) did something catastrophic in unwittingly changing something. She likes to edit her user from time to time (ie name, avatar picture etc), but she has no ability to get past anything password protected, can't get in estore etc.

Have you bought the games on your user account, and she's made her own but trying to play your games?

Hi, I have the same problem. Me too I bought a game on my switch, and now, it doesn't appear on my nintendo account ...
And I can't re download it, it said that the user who bought this game doesn't exist anymore on this console... But I am the user who bought this account, and my account is still here, in my switch..

I can't find the game into my history of purshases of my nintendo account ...

hmm Im guessing the 8 year old did something. Im not sure why it would be doing this.

Currently also experiencing this exact issue for two of my games so far.
I have exclusively digital games cause I like to have everything with me at all times.
But two games suddenly became unplayable saying the user that purchased doesn't exist anymore while I never took that account off my Switch for even a second.
It redirects you to the eShop that then shows the full price for the game as if you've never bought it.
Nintendo support is only reacting every 4 days and it's very frustrating.
Personally haven't been able to find a solution.
Hoping the other people here have since found something?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom