Anyone help me find a nostalgic Popcorn maker and advise me on recipies????

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As title

Wasn't sure where to ask this:

I'm looking for a Popcorn maker/popper, a little like this sort of look (or cinema style sort of look)
Nostalgia Electrics Red and Gold Popcorn Popper from Overstock.com

Want to keep the price below £30 if possible

Ideally I'd like one that makes popcorn just the same as the 'sweet' popcorn at the cinema.
As in it pops it all, and it comes out with all sweet tasting.

Also wouldn't mind some recepie idea's for when we fancy a change.

Not wanting to use a saucepan or microwave popcorn, just want a nice nostalgic popcorn maker/popper for home cinema use

Thanks

tris

I'm looking for a Popcorn maker/popper, a little like this sort of look (or cinema style sort of look)
Nostalgia Electrics Red and Gold Popcorn Popper from Overstock.com

Want to keep the price below £30 if possible

Ideally I'd like one that makes popcorn just the same as the 'sweet' popcorn at the cinema.
As in it pops it all, and it comes out with all sweet tasting.

Also wouldn't mind some recepie idea's for when we fancy a change.

Tris, that is a hot air popper, you don't want one of those if you want 'proper' popcorn. I have a small 2oz popper that look similar to the one in the photos, but is a proper hot oil popper, so you can add your own flavorings. Can't remember exact quantities, but I use a something like a couple of tablespoons of corn oil, and a tablespoon of sugar. Then when it pops, you get the nice sweet coating over the popcorn.
I think mine came from boysstuff.com, but their site is down for maintenance right now, it was about 45 quid if I remember rightly.

Cheers,
Ben

Edit: This is the one http://www.amazon.com/Nostalgia-KPM-508-Old-Fashioned-Kettle-Popcorn/dp/B0001V48KG hopefully the model number will help you whilst searching for uk suppliers

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Tris, that is a hot air popper, you don't want one of those if you want 'proper' popcorn. I have a small 2oz popper that look similar to the one in the photos, but is a proper hot oil popper, so you can add your own flavorings. Can't remember exact quantities, but I use a something like a couple of tablespoons of corn oil, and a tablespoon of sugar. Then when it pops, you get the nice sweet coating over the popcorn.
I think mine came from boysstuff.com, but their site is down for maintenance right now, it was about 45 quid if I remember rightly.

Cheers,
Ben

Edit: This is the one Amazon.com: Nostalgia KPM-508 Old-Fashioned Kettle Popcorn Maker: Kitchen & Dining hopefully the model number will help you whilst searching for uk suppliers

Thanks

I presume I need a oil one for the flavour then?

So how dos it work??
Do I add sugar or somthing along the lines of that to the oil inside??

Is the popcorn sticky, or does it come out the same as at the cinema in all it's sweetly goodness?

Thanks

tris

ps I think I found the same one, but not sure on the site:
Welcome to Hot Chocolate - Chocolate Fountain Hire

Still searching away

You must not put anything other than popcorn in the hot air ones, so they're not what you want.

Why do you need a popcorn machine? You can make popcorn in a normal saucepan with a lid?:confused:

Why do you need a popcorn machine? You can make popcorn in a normal saucepan with a lid?:confused:

As stated in first post:
Not wanting to use a saucepan or microwave popcorn, just want a nice nostalgic popcorn maker/popper for home cinema use

IE: prettyness :)

tris

I really shouldn't read too quickly:blush:

I presume I need a oil one for the flavour then?

So how dos it work??
Do I add sugar or somthing along the lines of that to the oil inside??

Is the popcorn sticky, or does it come out the same as at the cinema in all it's sweetly goodness?

ps I think I found the same one, but not sure on the site:
Welcome to Hot Chocolate - Chocolate Fountain Hire

The metal bowl thing you see in the middle (the 'kettle') holds the kernals and has a heating element and a rotating stirring stick. You add the oil and the flavouring to the kettle, switch it on and wait for the popcorn to come pouring out!
I just use sugar, but if you search some of the american sites you can get all sorts of weird and wonderful flavourings.
Doesn't come out sticky, its just like the cinema style popcorn, not surprising as its exactly the same way they make it but just on a smaller scale!

That looks like a good price on that site.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks for the advice guys

I think I'll be going for the traditional looking one as I quite like that.

I'll still have to search, as I dont know if I trust that site or not, might contact them.

In the mean time if anyone comes across that one £30 or under, please let me know

thanks

tris

Still not found one of these:(

The missus is really insistant on a more 'modern' looking one. She'll have t like it and lump it if I can't find a half decent hot oil one

So can anyone advise on a modern one that uses oil??
Also one I can add sugar to the oil (if thats how it works) so it tastes exactly as at the cinema

Thanks

tris

Last edited:
Last edited:
I assumed it was an oil one :

I prefer it to my hot-air popper as I like to put the butter and salt in while popping.

I assumed it was an oil one :

It has a plate by the sounds of thing's:

The machine uses a hot plate which is ok, not as good as hot air blowers.

I'm after one that will haver the stuff able to pop and come out tasteing lke the stuff at the cinema.
I presume that I would have to have an oil one and add sugar to the oil before the popping begins, if it works that way?

tris

I did find this one that lets you decide just how much, and what kind, of popcorn, oil and flavoring to use. Might be from the US only though:

Cuisinart Party Popper Popcorn Machine

I'm not sure on this type, as I'd probably put too much in and those ones with their own 'bowls' don't rally appeal to me.

I have a huge mixing bowl to fill with the right one :D

Just such a difficult thing to find, as I have been looking round the shops and can't find one to see in the 'flesh'.

Can anyone recommend any high st stores and supermarkets that have them??
Or is it a gadget shop job?

tris

Quick bump for this one, as there isn't a lot of information and reviews about for these things.

I'm weary of a hot air one, as I don't want to risk 'chewy' popcorn, it's just not the same :(

Anyone have any good expieriance with a particular branded air popper without chewy popcorn?

tris

ps would also like a reliable one, that doesnt cut out only popping half the kernals etc.... Have read some stories of some that overheat too quick, as I'd want to use it on almost a nightly basis

Last edited:
Tried calling these guys for 3-4 working days on the trot now, but just get an answerphone :(

This is the only one in the UK I can find that uses oil.

Anyone know of any suppliers that are hard to find?

tris

Buy Whirley Pop Popcorn Pan in the UK
This is the popcorn maker i have IMO makes the best popcorn :)

I did see that, and I would have bought one, but can't really use the cooker due to medical reasons.
This is why I'm having such a hard job trying to find a 'table/work top' one that uses oil that I can use myself.

I tried that guy from the abve site quite a few times, but it always goes to answerphone :(

tris

I'm off to Bristol (broadmead) this saturday with £30 for the hunt for a popcorn maker/popper.

I know I should look in the gadget shop thingy.

I wondered if anyone knew of any other shops in that area that sells them??

Thanks

tris

I'm off to Bristol (broadmead) this saturday with £30 for the hunt for a popcorn maker/popper.

I know I should look in the gadget shop thingy.

I wondered if anyone knew of any other shops in that area that sells them??

Thanks

tris

To quote myself.

Anyone??

tris

Also, since they seem easier to find, is a 'hotair' popper able to make crunchy popcorn?
As I have read mixed reviews some saying that hot air ones only make 'chewy' stuff:(

To quote myself.

Anyone??

tris

Also, since they seem easier to find, is a 'hotair' popper able to make crunchy popcorn?
As I have read mixed reviews some saying that hot air ones only make 'chewy' stuff:(

Try somewhere like John Lewis if there is one near you?

I have a hot air one and it's great IMO. What do you mean by Crunchy and Chewy Popcorn, do you mean cruncy like the packets of toffee popcorn - like butterkist for example?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom