Anyone help a newbie with these calculations?

neilw1

Standard Member
Hello,
Following some data at projector point website and from the online manual at optoma I think I've calculated the size of screen and stuff correctly (HD700X). For those that know more than me (i.e. I know nothing), does this look right?

The picture below is my room and points A, B, C are where I can locate the projector. I knocked off 15cm for the height of the projector and 20cm for the drop from the projector to the screen given the distances (according to optoma).

attachment.php

This gives me the following min/max (I assume no zoom and full zoom) projector screen sizes diagonals.

c) 1.9m to 2.09m (74" to 83")
b) 2.17m to 2.39m (85" to 95")
a) 2.44m to 2.68 (96" to 105")

And the screen position from the floor (bottom to the top of screen) would be (no key-stoning):

c) 115cm to 210cm (mid-point 160cm, third up 145cm)
b) 56cm to 162cm (mid-point 106cm, third up 98cm)
a) 52cm to 172cm (mid-point 98cm, third up 98cm)

Does this sound/look about right?

I've worked out my eye-level to be about 112cm so that puts position B about right for a 92inch screen? I'd like position 3 to keep the projector out of the way, but I can live with B.

Any advise would be much appreciated, such as I've done it all wrong, etc :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• study projector flat.png
    study projector flat.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

neilw1

Standard Member
Thanks, I tried there before but it didn't have the HD700X. So I assumed the HD65 was the same (from what I read it is), and that gives me the same values as I calculated (only in less time!)

So, I guess my question is this: is my assumption on screen height positioning correct (putting about the centre of the screen at eye level - in my case 112cm)?

If so, I guess I should really either go for position B (and possibly bang my head on standing up) or position A but get a bigger screen than 92inches as it will be too large for that?

Last edited:

binbag

So, I guess my question is this: is my assumption on screen height positioning correct (putting about the centre of the screen at eye level - in my case 112cm)?

IIRC (although I'm not sure from what source) the eye level should be a line drawn horizontally 1/3rd of the total screen height.

As to positioning the PJ, are all the other factors equal; noise, venting, cable access? If they are then the ideal is to choose the most mid throw distance placement for the screen size that you wish to produce.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom