1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard the Teac Legacy 700 or 800 small AV amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jon smith, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Been reading the reviews of these amps (and dvd setups). Does anyone on either own one of these systems or has been able to hear them?

The 700 is about £120 cheaper online, but not sure which I would go for.

The speaker package looks like a revamped Eltax, which oddly gets good reviews when packaged with the Teac but got a poor review when partnered with an eltax DVD player?

Probably going to be partnering a set of Kef Eggs.

2. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

We sell the TEAC legacy and I have to say the system is excellent, both with stereo and A/V. The multi region upgrade is easy so a good dealer should do this for free. There is a PAL progressive upgrade on the way which should also help. The LSL800 speaker set is a re-badged eltax (groan!) and does not really do the system justice - although it is actually much better than previous eltax offerings. A Much better choice would be the Kef KHT system (MK1 or 2) Mission FS1 or an A/V package made up of the new Mission M31 speaker range. The only potential downside of the legacy is the transport seems noisier than previous TEAC offerings, and does not detract from the truly amazing product the legacy is.

In the interest of fairness and to not make this sound like a free ad the Legacy is available for around the same kind of money from us (www.discounttv.co.uk) or HIFIBITZ or Empire Direct, I can only speak for us when I say the MR upgrade is free of charge and does not affect TEAC warranty, again any good TEAC dealer should be able to do this upgrade.

Ben

3. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi, thanks for the comments.

Is the 800 much of a step up from the 700 components (apart from offering more flexibility, as they are separate dvd and amp on the 800).

I take it the multi region mod is just a remote jobby then (which certainly makes things easier).

Oddly, it was your prices I was quoting.

4. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Certainly, the 800 does sound better with its seperate amp and DVD, also you do get the LCD learning remote with the 800 system (£160 is seperately) and a good bit more power. If you are going to be running the KHT system it may well be worth going up to the 800. The MR mod is a handset one plus a software upgrade administered to the machine through a PC connection, this probably accounts for the lack of a hack posted on the net, it is a dealer only upgrade.

Having said this the 700 does sound a lot more than its quoted power figure, and shares common video circuitry with the 800. It is after all the 700 with all the reviews! They are both excellent systems, you may be advised to go for the 800 if the KHT system is your speaker choice, anything else and the 700 would be more than adequate.

Ben

5. igstephenson

igstephenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben,

I too am considering a Teac Legacy 800 system but am finding it difficult to get the exact spec of the kit - even from Teac website.

Can you tell me if the 800 has component video out and also RGB scart out for the European model? Some sites state that it has only component out on the non-european model and RGB Scart on the European model??

What would the "PAL progressive upgrade" involve? Is this something that is due to be built-in or is it a software/hardware upgrade that would have to be done? Any idea as to when this is due to be incorporated in the 800 model?

I'd be interested to know how the Teac 800 sounds with the latest Mission FS1 AV's - I did have the original FS2AV's and was not to impressed so switched to Kef2005's - now those have been sold and I'm looking for a similar system (they must be compact - I did like the look of the Teac LSL800's but you didn't rate them too high...)

You thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Ian

Middlesbrough

6. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Legacy 700 and 800 do have component output AND RGB scart output, the pal progressive upgrade is a disc update sent to all customers by default, just a simple stick it in the drive I hope!

Why did you sell the KHT's? they eclipse the TEAC LSL 800 for both music and movies! Maybe you should think about the .2 version.

The Fs1's are better in stereo than the FS2's and also smaller and better looking - there has just been another price movement to £299 so they are seriousley good value! The reason for this as far as I understand it is the FS1 is made in China so costs are much lower, plus the NXT technology is mich further on in development so you get a better product for far less money.

I must express reservation if you have owned the KHT system as the FS1 will just not square up favourably to either a MK1 or 2 KHT. They are about half the price of the Kefs so comparisons are somewhat unfair!

7. igstephenson

igstephenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben,

Thanks very much for your reply, it's nice to be sure before I buy!

I sold the Kef2005.1's because I was never overly happy with them to be honest, they sounded great in the shop and at the time were one of the best sub/sat systems under £1000.

I managed to borrow a set of B & W VM1's the other week and give them a real testing- I thought they were superior to the Kef's so that's what I'm hankering after at the moment, although the decision is still open - whatever it is, it'll have to be a sub/sat combo as I'm tight on space and have an 8month old crawling all over!

Have you had chance to match up the B&W VM1's with the Teac 800 system - just wondering how well they gel together?

Thanks again for the info, I shall certainly look your way when my decisons have been finalised.

Ian