Anyone heard the Mission e8c?

T

the_john

I've run into some extra dollars and have just come back from a visit at my local HT/Hi-Fi dealer where I couldn't help but notice this very visually appealing centre speaker. :cool:

I'm currently running a m3c1i and have found it somewhat lacking next to my m34i fronts.

Is there anyone out there running an e8c that can let me know its strengths/shortcomings? And would it match the m34is or am I comparing apples with bananas?

The e8c is the centre speaker from the Elegante system - missions flagship home theatre setup. I have not actually seen the centre sold seperately before but must admit to having never looked into it.

I have heard a full e82 setup (which uses the e8c) and it was exceptional however I would be concerned as to the tonal match with the M34i fronts you have. I would check with the dealer to see if the centre is 'new' as it could be they have had a system returned with and have split it up for resale. Also if they are a decent dealer they should allow you to test the speaker at home against you M34i (or setup the centre with these speakers in their listening room so you can trial it).

I havent really listened to the M3 series much but it is very close to the now discontinued M7 range (not surprising as it was introduced to replace it) and the M7c1 was very lacking imo but the M7c2 speaker was a massive improvement. It may therefore be worth testing out the M3c2i to see if it will close the issue.

Cheers Astaroth.

The fact the speaker might be a return isn't something I'd thought of but now that you mention it, given that it's usually sold as part of the elegante system it's very likely to be the case. It may provide an angle to work towards a good price if I can integrate the speaker within my setup.

I haven't heard the M7c2 but will definitely give it a whirl. :smashin:

The M7c2 is discontinued - but then if you can find it it should be cheap but the M3c2i is the current version - both would work fine with the M34i fronts (I have their predecessor M74i & the M7c2)

I totally agree with Astaroth. When i upgraded from the m7c1 to the m7c2, the change was amazing. The clarity of the vocals (which is all that really matters for a center speaker) took a leap.

Try the m3c2i, could be what you are looking for.

The E8C is sold as an individual item. In fact the E80s & E81s are also sold as single units (price given is for one, not a pair, DOH!). Only the E82s & E83s come in a pair. This allows you to tailor the set-up to your exact needs eg 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc.
I actually went for the bigger E83s up front and the smaller E80s for the rears (can't imagine there'd be much difference as rears speakers).
The sound from the E8C is great. I can't really tell you much more than that as I'm not very good at describing sound differences. With the exception of the E83s, all the speakers in the range use the same drive units (E80 has one bass driver, the E81 has 2, E82 has 5 or so and the E8C also has 2). Now, the sound from my E80s when I tested them out as main speakers was amazing. It really blew me away. The E83s sounded alot lazier, almost sluggish (I'm guessing this was due to the bigger drive units), but they were not run in at the time (listening to music, not movies).
Overall, I'm really pleased with the E8C. The speech in films has a lot more definition then my old B&W CC6 and I find that I'm not having to turn up the level on the centre channel to hear anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom