Anyone heard the Cambridge Audio One micro system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by d4v34, Jan 30, 2009.

1. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Mildoo

Mildoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    hi

although i have not heard this, cambridge audio also have the sonata micro system which is a bit more powerful.

Cambridge Audio

3. Weemfluffer

Weemfluffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I haven't heard it, but I sincerely doubt it's any better that the Denon DM37 which is nearly half its price.

This statement from the blurb gives me some cause for concern :

"Thanks to X-Bass enhancement it's also capable of making smaller speakers sound full-bodied."

Never a good sign when Hi-Fi has this sort of thing as an option.

4. TJB

TJB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me, the cambridge is loads better than the denon. I found the Denon really disappointing, mushy and vague, whereas the cambridge is clear and precise. It's about £120 more than the Denon, so depends what you want.

5. Ben Beaumont

Ben Beaumont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X-Bass feature is a selectable option and is completely defeatable when not needed (for instance its not needed with S30s) but is actually quite carefully worked out to help along v small bookshelfs.

6. boxrick

boxrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Having listened to both... i find the cambridge audio one suprisingly good. It walks all over the dm37 for clarity, gives a much warmer and easy to listen to sound.

Anyone who doesnt mind spending a lil more then get the cambridge... much better sounding than the dm37... :smashin:

7. DolbyT

DolbyT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just bought a 'ONE' :thumbsup:

Spent a couple of hours trying out the Denon D-M37DAB, the Cambridge Audio ONE, and several sets of speakers.

The results (as far as our ears were concerned) were that, with the same speakers, the Cambridge was audibly the better machine, it just seemed to have a broader range, and better clarity than the Denon. We tried both with the manufacturers speakers, some Gales, Tanon F1's, Dali Lektor (1's and 2's) before settling on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's.

Oh, and when you take into account that the Cambridge comes with iPod dock, the price is the same as the Denon with ASD-11R.

Hope that helps.

8. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not a fan of micro systems, but this thing drove me ELAC FS207 floorstanders with ease, and sounds great. Of course this was just to try, not retiring the 740A just yet!

9. tomatova

tomatova
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to get the Denon 37dab when I got to listen the CA one and compared the two systems with the same speakers: mordaunt short 902i. The conclusion was the CA "one" just outstood the denon. Frankly do the test...
    Don't know why What HI-fi didn't give 5 stars but if there is one star gap it is for the CA...bought it for 280 pounds and come with the ipod dock thought was a very good price. 30 quids more than the denon.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. T1969

T1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I agree, spent over an hour at my local RS and came to the same conclusion. :D

11. tomatova

tomatova
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi could you tell me what speakers were best for the CA one, what would you recommend, heard the Mourdaunt short 902is on and I was not very impressed, the originals CA speakers were more detailed to mee.

Thanks

12. Mondeo Man

Mondeo Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a CA One with a pair of B&W 686 speakers and a recently added B&W ASW608 sub

Even without the sub it was a very good bit of kit as the 686's are very very good full range speakers for the price and are easily driven by the CA One