Anyone heard of this?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PND, Jan 21, 2002.

1. PND

PND
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently took delivery of a Panasonic TX32PB50 and having read various threads re: whistling hissing noises, etc.. I am not sure whether I have a problem...

There seem to be 2 sources of extra noise...

I am using the supplied 'centre' speaker and the built-in left and rights. Not using the stand.

[1] With 'simulated movie sound' on, there is a noticeable whistling sound during quiet bits. With 'surround off', it is quiter. If I drop the volume until it is one click from mute, you can still hear it. When I go mute, the sound disappears.

[2] At all times, there is a noise/buzzing coming from the innards of the set.. Is this normal?

Also, in the bottom right hand corner (approx 2" x 2" area) there is a blueish hue noticeable when the bottom of the screen is showing white.. I have got a hi-fi speaker within a foot of the screen.. could this be the problem or is it the screen?

Apart from this, very happy with TV - except that Telewest cable picture quality is not what it could be..

Any thoughts/suggestions re above problems would be appreciated.

2. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul
    I would say the the spot on the screen is the effect of the magnet in your speaker........ move the speaker further away.... and physicly switch off the power to the tv. (not with the remote as it only puts it in standby) so that the automatic deguising operates to remove the ironisation of the phosphers on the tube.... (you may have to do this several times before it goes..... Its best to do this once every day as opposed to doing it frequently in a short period of time) (frequent power Off & On over a period of minutes isnt good for a TV).

On the matter of the sound you have a problem that needs to be addressed by the company you bought it from..... or even have it exchanged.

Regards JPC

3. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul
    You do not say if you have the surround speakers connected and whether the whistling sound comes from the surround speakers.
    I did notice this whistling coming from the surround speakers when there was no information being fed to them. I have a 32PG50 by the way but it is the same chassis.
    I agree with JPC concerning the hue in the bottom right hand corner that it could be from your hifi speaker. It could also be a purity problem with the tube which I have experienced on at least 2 widescreen sets in the past - one a panasonic and the other a sony. Remove all colour from the picture and see if there are any signs on colour with a black and white picture. This tends to show any purity or convergence problems.
    I dont want to worry you but in a 12 month period I was involved with 5 32inch widescreens from Panasonic and Sony but the 6th is perfect now that it has been set up by a Panasonic trained engineer.
    Best of luck in resolving your problems as the Panasonic set is really something when it is working well.

4. PND

PND
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerry

The noises occur without the surround speakers connected. I am not sure whether I am worrying about nothing.. Should the TV operate almost silently or are there inherent hums, etc..

Re: the blue splodge.. I will try the 'remove all colour' test..

Thanks.

5. dustyboy

dustyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this helps,but I have Telewest cable,and even on my little tellythe picture is noticably worser than using aerial.Picture seems more pixelated on cable.HTH D

6. dustyboy

dustyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that should say worse