• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone heard of the Scott SJS - 500CS floor standing speakers ?

jondi

Has any one heard these Scott SJS - 500CS floor standing speakers ? Also the bookshelf 500bs speakers ? The floor standers " 500cs " are not bad sounding, i used with my old Yamaha amp. I am getting a new Denon 1910 av amp this week, wondering to get new speakers soon or not, not got a big budget though.
What would you recommend ?

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Are these the speakers? -

Scott SJS500CS : Read reviews and compare prices at Ciao.co.uk

I've not heard of Scott speakers for years. I know back in the day they used to be pretty well regarded as a speaker maker. But, again, I didn't know they were still around.

If the speakers currently work, then there is no reason why you can't still use them. However, if you are going to expand them into a 5.1 surround sound speakers system, you might have trouble finding matching speakers. The Center speakers is probably the most critical in terms of matching the fronts, though you might be able to find something in another brand.

If you budget is really low, then you are probably better keeping what you have.

Can you tell us what your budget might be for a new 5.1 speaker system?

Steve/bluewizard

jondi

I have the Scott floor standers and Bookshelf for the rear, I also have a Q acoustics 2000 center speaker. I would like to buy a bit at a time. I will have to see what my current speakers will sound like with My Denon 1910 amp when it arrives. I will probably buy a pair of Left/rights, and rears. I am also on the lookout for a Subwoofer for around £200.
Any suggestions on this.

rears for around £150
left/right around £200 ish
Subwoofer around £200.
This will be a gradual spending spree.
Trying to save for Holiday too

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you've got every thing but the Sub. Given your budget, I'm not sure that you can do better than what you have. If the Q Acoustic center sound reasonably good with the Scott, and the Scotts them selves sound good, then definitely keep what you have.

If you feel you need to improve the system then a good sub might be the next best move.

Since I haven't heard the Scotts, it is hard to say what the next move after that should be. Personally, I think if you are satisfied now with your old amp, then you will continue to be satisfied for years to come with your new amp.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluwizard

jondi

Yeh a sub next i think, don't know which one though.

jondi

Yeh a sub next i think, don't know which one though.
Connected it all up, sounds pretty tidy, quite happy, The floor standers give out quite good Bass sound without a Sub. Should i get a sub anyway to deal with all bass aspects ?
Lord of the rings sounds great, so does Earth on bluray and visually stunning.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom