Anyone heard of neuneu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TopMeTom, Mar 11, 2005.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  2. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    isn't he a teletubbie? :)

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Haha i dunno.....er i'll get me coat....

4. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes, it's actually Neuneo, but check out AVS forums for threads on the HVD108/208. They're basically upscaling 'high-def' HVD (Far East HD format - not HD-DVD nor Blu-ray) players, mostly for those owning displays without DVI/HDMI, because they upscale over component, although the 208 has HDMI and the option of defeating HDCP, for those with DVI but no HDCP support... draw deep breath, phew. :D

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There have been a few threads on here where it's been mentioned ... IMO the basic issue is that its' ability to play HVD media is highly misleading, as I see it there's no way Hollywood and the MPAA will ever license their material for that format, so you'll be stuck with whatever content the Chinese owners of the format can persuade others to release material for it.

Also, upscaling SD material, ie NTSC (480) and PAL (576) to 1080p is going to produce pretty awful images IMHO, all scaling adds softening and scaling to nearly double unless is likely to be pretty unwatchable I would expect.

If you can demo one then by all means try it, if not then my advice is ignore upscaling to 1080p as a useful feature. Upscaling SD material to 720p with something like the Momitsu/Samsung products is pretty reasonable.

6. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Thanks for that,I have been reading about them on avs-forums.Do the samsungs upscale via component?

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I also read a bit about this player on AVS.
    Some people there think the pq isn't as good as that from the Momitsu.

8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hmmm the more i read i think i'll leave it for now...

9. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Upscaling via component is frowned on by the studios for copy protection reasons, so such players are relatively thin on the ground. I think the only Samsung that does is the HD1000, but then only after applying a firmware patch, plus it's expensive (in US). There are others however, namely Momitsu, Yamakawa, Zenith (in US). From my reading of various forum opinions, the NeuNeo players have some issues, but are basically good players and value, though I think they're of most interest to those who need upscaling over component or HDCP free DVI. If you don't need these, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

10. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't been able to test 1080p but I can assure you 720p and 1080i through component looks **way** better than 576p component output from the Sony DVP-NS955 that is, I believe, one of the very best in its price category -- I bought the Neuneo HVD208 for about 200 euros and the Sony 955 for about 320 euros (taxes in). I have watched about 30 movies with this player and I'm very observative about picture quality. In 720p and 1080i modes from the Neuneo, when you get closer to the screen you can easily observe finer skin patterns, detailed not softened, and very much less noise. Picture quality will upgrade even further is the source is a high rate dvd, say between 7 and 8 Mbits/sec. I would say the upscaling process becomes useless with sources that have MPEG2 bitrate below 3 Mbits/sec.

In my opinion this player is intended towards people that want high grade upscaling without hdcp needed on the display device -- and I believe there's plenty. They also included HVD chinese standard but it should be considered as a useless bonus.

More about this Neuneo player in my other posts on avforums.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Being displayed by what device, with what native resolution?

I have a Momitsu and its' 720p is pretty good, untill you compare it to a PC then you see its' flaws, and the Neuneo uses similar chips I believe. This is using DVI, the component is not as good.

I still don't believe scaling 576i to 1080p would produce a watchable picture on anything but the smallest of screens, a demo would be very important if someone was to think of using that IMHO.

12. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Sony KLV-L32M1 1366*768 LCD with Wega engine. I'm not sure at all the upscaling process in the Neuneo has been used by other brands previously, they state it's an all new one, moreover they clearly give the reference so maybe you could check what chip is used in the Momitsu.

By the way I'm a professional photographer and I must say I didn't expect the Neuneo upscaler to offer such a big improvement on picture quality -- in still pictures domain there are no algorithms able to convert to higher resolution than source without adding artefacts, but I have to admit the Neuneo does a great job on MPEG2 stream.

I can only advice to test this dvd player :)

13. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Kragorn

Mike Parker over at AVS would tend to disagree with you

"The NEO made my day. I would have never imagined that this little deck, could ever perform as it did. We twaeked our setup for both 1080I and 1080P. And we flipped back and forth between the two, with 1080P producing the best/sharpest image... yep, it was SHARPER and better at 1080P"

They used it at his recent gathering displaying on an Electrohome 9500LC.

Regards

14. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    being dim,what do you run at then?

My Sim2 can run 480p 720p 1080i what do you reckon would be best?

16. laplace

laplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philb I don't know anything about your material, I posted the bitmap to allow people on this forum to see the difference the Neuneo upscaler made from 576p to 1080i. Obviously enough I'm using 1080i :)

17. nuke888

nuke888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAHAHAHHAHA
    HAHA

18. windymillar

windymillar
    Standard Member

Products Owned: