1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard of Active TFT?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rigman, Jan 2, 2003.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    This is a quote from the TAW forum (the same company that make Rock video processors)

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    The only TFT I can think of stands for "Thin Film Transistor" which is a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, usually the pocket note book type, would have thought they would be very expensive to manufacture to Plasma Screen sizes though!

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
  4. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    active TFT is exactly the same tech found in LCD monitors, and laptop screens. IIRC Samsung make 28" widescreen TFT TV's, they do look amazing, but rather similar to a plasma really. There are inherent problems with viewing angle, refresh rate, and contrast ratio with TFT technology - though over the years the quality has improved in leaps and bounds - its possible to get some really decent displays - though yeild problems when fabricating large displays (such as the 28" wide) mean the price will stay high.

What will change things is Field Emission Displays (FED's) - these will be in the market within 10 years easily - possibly less than 5 the rate that samsung are going at the moment.

Imagine a TFT screen, but instead of each pixel working by blocking, or not blocking light to display the picture (as in TFT) - every single pixel is like a mini- CRT monitor. I'm talking electron gun and phospor here :eek:

These displays will have no viewing angle limits (they will behave as a CRT), they will run as bright as a CRT, and run extremely cool compared to TFT/Plasma esp. They should be cheap to produce as yeild will be lot easier than with TFT's.

Interesting factoid : Did you know that in the fabrication of TFT displays it is necessary for a technician to rub felt onto a part of the screen during the process???? (this is one of the reasons the yeild is so low - no one has figured a hi-tech way around it)

hope thats of some roundabout help

stu

5. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been searching for info on the new polymer/organic light emitting diode display technology (pLED), which seems to be the next step from plasma to me.

For the reasons stated above, I can't see TFT emerging as a valid mass market TV display. I also feel that the displays are too slow, and lack the required levels of brightness/contrast.

This pLED, on the other hand, sounds too good to be true. High brightness 1000+ cd/m2, low production costs, wafer thin (potentially flexible!) display medium, low energy, wide viewing angle - the list goes on. Some small devices are already in production using single colour displays and they are expected to arrive in colour format for our mobiles & PDAs soon.

An amazing article I read claimed projected pixel counts of 700 dpi for a monochrome display capable of showing 'photo quality' images. Even allowing three pLEDs per pixel for colour display, that would be over 200 pixels per inch, so on a 2ft high display panel, the number of pixels vertically would be at least 4800.

Does anyone here have any more detailed/informed information about this new technology? Is it pie in the sky?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,072
    Generally true, but it appears from the latest offerings from Sharp (Aquos) that this particular problem has been overcome.

7. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Andrew,

You are indeed correct, pLED is another exciting field, and as you say is being pushed along by the mobile phone market for its quality, and low power requirements. The main problem with pLED's is degradation.

It's difficult to know if pLED will take off, a couple of companies in the technology park in cambridge - plastic logic, and CDT (IIRC) are working hard in this area. The technology will become extremely prevelent if they manage to reliably print transistors (something i was working on a couple of years back) - but this is proving a bit of a pain. (If its possible to print the transistors using an inkjet printer with conducting/semiconducting inks, you can build up an entire display, and print the LEP (light emitting polymer) onto the emmiter of the transisor - you can now literally print out a fully functional display of a sheet of A4??????)

We may see pLED's come into the AV world, but i wouldn't bank on it. Almost certainly in mobile phones and even on advertsitsments (you can print the screen on the side of a bus), but i dont know how they are doing with the balance of brightness and lifespan into the display - that is a big problem.

FED displays will revolutionise everything if they come into existence, the quality will be stunnig, and they possess everything we love from CRT's.