Anyone heard Glen Campbell's new album?

JonnyTester

I was brought up on Glen Campbell's 20 Golden Grfeats, it was one of only 2 8 track cassettes my father had in our car. Songs like Wichita Lineman, By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Galveston and , of course, Rhinestone Cowboy to this day define probably the last days of my progressing from a boy into puberty. Then Glen Campbell just sort of disappeared from the public eye (in this country anyway). Of course there were the odd horror stories about drink, drugs and divorce but other than that, nothing.

Last week Glen Campbell released a new studio album. He's now 72 years old and probably shouldn't even be alive. Titled Meet Glen Campbell, it is an album of 10 covers by artists as diverse as Travis (Sing), U2 (All I want Is You), Foo Fighters (Times Like These) and Velvet Underground (Jesus). The first single from the album, Greenday's "Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)" is brilliant.

Even if Glen Campbell is not your cup of tea, I suggest you give this a listen. You won't be sorry. My only bugbear is that, at just over 30 minutes it's just far too short.

Full track listing:

1. 'Sing' (Travis)

2. 'Walls (Circus)' (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

3. 'Angel Dream' (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

4. 'Times Like These' (Foo Fighters)

5. 'These Days' (Jackson Browne)

6. 'Sadly Beautiful' (The Replacements)

7. 'All I Want Is You' (U2)

8. 'Jesus' (Velvet Underground)

9. 'Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)' (Green Day)

10. 'Grow Old With Me' (John Lennon)

Mep

Hadn't heard it but just sampled it on itunes.....am now downloading as it sounds great! cheers

northernben

Standard Member
I agree is a very good album but I found the Green Day cover to be one of the weakest. Didn't find an awful lot was done with it to mark it out as a Glen Campbell take on the song. Whereas the Foo Fighters cover was a nicely different track.

Still nice album though no doubt.

mykl1971

Novice Member
Listened to it today and loved it. In a wee while I'm going to try and order a couple of tickets to see him in Belfast next week.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom