1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard a Sonus Faber Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Bimmer, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard a Sonus Faber Sub? How does it fair against other subs around the 1k mark

I have been reading rave reviews about the BK XLS200, I know it's a lot less money, but is it anywhere near in performance terms. I want to use it for 85% music 15% movies.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    russraff has one and he has has posted about it either today or yesterday

3. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Sonus Faber Gravis. It's definitely more a music than a home cinema sub. It's very good for 'filling-out' the lower registers for most music (especially when you least expect it on, say, acoustic music). One thing to note is that it doesn't go particularly high (up to 70Hz IIRC).

So, it's probably worth auditioning it if your requirements are more skewed towards music than movies.

Regards,

Jules.

4. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on having it on the other side of the room to my front speakers (def tech mythos) The room is 29 X 13. with wooden flooring. Will the bass be more integrated with the Sonus than something like a Q200 or xls200. Sorry but I don't know what the 70hz IIRC means.

5. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My apologies for the Internet-speak. IIRC - If I Recall Correctly.

Well, most subs will go up to at least 80Hz. The Gravis doesn't which means that you'd need to set your processors/amps crossover higher than would typically be the case with most subs. Not really a problem unless your processor's crossover is fixed at, say, 80Hz - some are.

Regards,

Jules.

6. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my fronts go down to 45hz. I am using a Pioneer AX5i Amp. will that be ok?

7. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as your receiver will let you set its crossover frequency to 70Hz or below.

Regards,

Jules.

8. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked the spec today, 65Hz! Thats even lower than you thought. Perhaps I will go with the XLS 2000.

Thanks for your help warrj

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    70hz is the highest xover setting if you use its internal xover, it will go up to 120hz, the official LFE limit easy, even though most recordings only have 80hz bass in that channel... :smoke:

10. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider wrote:

Really? How did you know that? The specs in the manual only quote it going up to 65Hz. I'd love to use a higher xover freq and take some of the strain off of my power amp.

Regards,

Jules.

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, there is no reason not too, LFE can go up to 120hz, unless it is a stereo only sub, and you cannot disable the internal xover, I asked my dealer to find out for you, maybe you can read it in the manual... :rolleyes:

12. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yeah, I had a Gravis sub for a few days. I eventually took it back for a few reasons.
    1) That 65Hz x-over was too low. You can use high level inputs, but this isn't ideal, for me.
    2) The Gravis just isn't very powerful. I had the volume at 3/4, and +3db on the receiver to get moderate bass.
    3) The tri-radiating woofers are a right swine to set up, and the "correct" position for my room was impractical; the actve driver really needs to be pointing at you for the sub to work well, but if the ABR drivers are against a wall, the Gravis' performance suffers.
    An interesting sidenote: the Gravis uses the same active driver as the BK XLS 2000, but with 2 additional (matching) bass radiators.

Russell

***EDIT***
    I also believe that the high pass filter is fixed at 20Hz look here for more info.

13. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lowrider,

Thanks, I'd be interested in anything which your dealer tells you. The manual which Sonus Faber supply is useless.

Regards,

Jules.

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    In my trials i didn't think it had tremendous extension either.

Steven

15. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I heard a 5.1 Krell/SF Cremona setup at a recent hifi show here in Edinburgh and though not terribly neutral, it was very impressive, including the sub. Certainly not lacking in power, depth, or control - as the tunnel collapse scene from the movie 'Daylight' proved. I was surprised - I expected the sub to be more of a "music" sub and that it wouldn't be very impressive for movies, but it was.

Then again, the Cremona sub is quite a lot dearer than the Gravis, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Dunc

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will call him again... :smashin:

Russell,

With AV most people will use low-level inputs, thats all I use with my two Strata III, also, most receivers, and processors, will cut the LFE content above the choosen xover, wrongly, but I have to say that I didn´t notice any significant difference from the AV32R (who does it wrong) to the DP ( who does it right), on the other hand, I wouldn´t want to have two crossovers in series, so I wouldn´t buy a sub that doesn´t allow to bypass its internal xover... :nono:

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn´t test the Gravis, but my dealer, who sells both, prefers the Strata III, even with SF speakers, wich I have, and love... :rolleyes:

18. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Yes, I know this.

Hmmm Interesting...What do you mean by "wrongly"? I'd have thought TAG would get tit right! Do you meant that the db/octave reduction is wrong (I seem to remember it is 24db/octave on my 8500)?

But if you were using the low level inputs, and therefore the amp's internal x-over, then the subs x-over would be redundant anyway, yes? You would set the sub's x-over to max, and let the amp sort things out, or am I missing something, here?
    I suppose that the Sonus Faber is a bit different as some amps can't be configured to a 60Hz x-over, and the high level is fixed at 20Hz.

I would agree with this, on reflection. I had a Strata III and some Sonus Faber Concerto's together and they worked very well. I just couldn't get along with the Gravis after a few days - it was too refined, and too reserved for it's own good.

Russell

19. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jules,

I called the importer, and he said that if you want to disable the internal xover, you have to take it to service, to have it disconected internally... :rolleyes:

Russell,

DB/octave is right, thats not what I am saying, but most mix the bass from all speakers set as small + LFE, and then apply the xover you select, so if it is 60hz, any signal on LFE above that will be attenuated, the original TAG included, it has been corrected on the DP... :eek:

As I said before, this didn´t make that much difference listening when I got the DP with proper bass management, but if you can have it correct, the better...

If you cannot bypass it, setting the sub´s xover to max is the correct alternative, but you still get both xovers in the path... :thumbsdow

An high pass filter at 20hz, or whatever is not that bad, just saves the woofer from working too hard where it shouldn´t, or cannot... :nono: