1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard a Creative X-Fi card working yet?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NicolasB, Aug 11, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm curious as to whether the supposedly superior DACs in the £400 model make an audible difference.

I must confess to being puzzled by the design philosophy: about four fifths of the chip is dedicated to sample rate conversion. Why not just not do any sample rate conversion and process the signal natively? :confused:

Anyway: looks to be good gaming hardware. Don't know if it will rival (e.g.) M-Audio for music and movies.

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Does the X-Fi have an onboard dolby digital decoder, if not, it will not be a good gaming card, as most the new games are in dolby digital, so you either need a soundcard with a 5.1 onboard deoder, so it can decode the audio to you 5.1 analogue speaker kit or you need a soundcard with a Dolby digital encoder which will pass the audio as a dolby digital bitstream straight to your amp via the spdif output on the soundcard...

As for the M-Audio, any card which can output 192HZ/24BIt audio will sound as good as it...

3. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I understand reviewers who've already heard it were pretty impressed.
    They are still under NDA but reviews should appear (at the end of) next week or the beginning of the week after that.

4. rmask

rmask

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wouldnt call most of them "reviewers",
    couse all of them compare PAPER paramateres, BENCHMARK (whats the point?) use COMPUTER SPEAKERS (havent heard any half decent ones in all my life) for deciding which soundcard is good or bad and most importantly usually dont understand nothing, compared to "prof. audio reviewers" :)

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
  6. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I could be interested in the entry level one. Either than of M-audio Revolution 5.1

7. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Because it's Creative and they're not sensible ;)

That's why I paid £25 for a card that can send CD/MP3 data out at native 16-bit 44.1KHz with no sample rate conversion...with a little help from Winamp's ASIO plugin and ASIO4ALL for the card.

I imagine it'll be rather good for games tho.

8. nthornhill

nthornhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toms hardware reviewed the card connected to PC speakers... <sigh>

9. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Received my X-Fi MusicExtreme through the post today. Can't connect it yet as it's a birthday present so I'll have to wait a couple of days to wire it up to my Genies.

Bought it from Dabs, who say they haven't got any in stock till the 29 September - like most other places I looked at - but somehow I got mine today.

So has anyone else got their X-fi and hooked it up yet? I'd be interested to know if there's a difference in sound quality with some good speakers connected.

10. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What are you on about? Creative make the gaming cards. I don't know where you managed to get the actual sound produced by a game using EAX for example and the means with which the card outputs the sound. These "DD" games at the very most will have a DD soundtrack for the cutscenes, all other times they output a 5.1 (or 7.1 as the case may be) surround track that is dealt by the soundcard output. Limitation with Creative cards is that it will only output discrete channel sound whereas Dolby Live! cards will compress this discrete sound to DD without lag.

Having a DD card means nothing as far as in game sound quality goes.

11. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Connected up my new X-Fi card today via analogue line outs. All I can say is, I wish this had come out before I bought my X-mystique. There's really no contest in terms of sound quality.

Luckily this card installed alongside my X-mystique so I could easily do side by side comparisons. First of all I seemed able to hear a lot more detail in the music I played (via iTunes). This was confirmed when I switched between the cards (by comparison the X-mystique sounded flat). Also the 24bit crystalizer helped draw out extra detail - by jove it actually does what it says on the box!!! At the expense of a bit of treble but I could live with that.

The other thing I noticed was that the soundscape was more expansive with more of a surround effect. Again I switched back to my X-mystique to check and confirmed that all the music from the X-mystique came from the centre speaker lessening the surround effect. So the new-fangled CMSS actually works too.

All I can say is that this card is well worth the £93 pounds I paid for it. I haven't tested it in games yet but I assume that it will also be superior to the X-mystique in this respect, as it supports the newest EAX standard.

All in all a great card. Comparing it to my old card, all I can say is that it was like taking the cotton wool out of my ears. I'd be interested if people have the same results with better equipment. I tested mine on my MS Genies via Denon 2105.

Val