Anyone hazzard a guess at the cost of a new roof?

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Moved into my house nearly 4 years ago, early last year the roof of the kitchen came in. Basically it's an end terrace house with an extension on the kitchen. The fool who put the extension put tiles on it but the angle of the roof isn't steep enough (only maybe 25 degrees) so he should have used a slate roof. With a tiled roof if you get enough wind and rain, the wind will drive the rain back up under the tiles and start a leak.

Did a patch job last year because it was a month before my wedding so I was short on cash and time. Plastered the inside and outside of the roof with roof seal stuff, put up a new ceiling and hoped for the best.

Last night after holding out for a year and a half, it started leaking again. Gonna have to bite the bullet this time and get the tiles off and slates on. Anyone have a clue what kind of price to expect? The extension part is roughly 20 x 20 feet. House is about 35 years old, extension about 8.

I have tracked down a few recommended roofers, but it will be early next week before I can get quotes. Anyone got a rough idea?

Well, sir, that looks like a tricky one, It'll take a couple of extra days on account of all that sticky stuff, and as I'm sure you're aware sir, the single storey scaffolding is hard to come by these days, so if you want it done before Christmas that'll cost more too, how does 10,000 euros sound, that's with the discount for cash you understand, sir...

Can't help really but I gather re-roofing a terraced house costs between £3,000 and £5000

Have a look here: http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/feature/what-will-it-cost-roofing, which although for roofing from scratch may give you an idea.

Last edited:
I have some friends who paid around the £4k mark for their roof to be re-tiled. Convert to Euros and add rip-off Irish tradesman prices and you're probably talking about €6-8k.

Holy crap!

Just to clarify though, I'm not talking about the whole house, just the extension. The extension is only 1 story so it's not attached to the rest of the roof. The house itself is fine, just the extension needs redone.

IG I like your price better. If it's £3-£5k for a terraced house and I'm talking about a small part about a 3rd of the size of a full terraced house, we might be somewhere reasonable.

Plus with the recession hitting hard apparently the cost of both parts and labour is much lower than in boom times. Just found out that one of the guys from my gym runs a roofing company so fingers crossed...

Anyone watch the program 'help my house is falling down'.. the last one that was on the quote they got for the full roof was 60k! Eeek!

Anyone watch the program 'help my house is falling down'.. the last one that was on the quote they got for the full roof was 60k! Eeek!

Thankfully didn't see it but surely at that price they must have been talking about ripping the entire roof, wood and all off and replacing? I just need tiles removed and slates put on!

Did this come up on the survey? Was there a survey?

Is it worth following that up? "Hey, I paid you good money and you didn't tell me the roof was not up to spec!" etc etc

Why use slates?

The minimum pitch they will go down to is 20 degrees (and there a fortune) where some tiles will drop to 17.5.

I can only guess the pich is a lot less than your estimated 25?

Cheapest and probably best way would be to, strip the roof,tiles felt and battens.Cover with 18 mm plywood,cover that in HT underlay felt bitumen hot rolled,counterbatten using 25x38 then re-felt sarking,lath and tile using existing tiles....Probably be around £2000 on a single storey mono pich roof.

I would go with scripts plan!!!

Effectively you have a flat roof, so treat it as such, ie felt/bitumen etc, and then if you want to make it match the rest of the house, re-tile it, but let the felt/bitumen/overlay etc do the waterproofing!!!

Script's plan sounded good but confused me! :D

My brother in law just had a guy build his shed and roof it and he was very good and very cheap so he's coming out next week to give me a quote. Brother in law is a friend of his too so he's going to help out with labouring etc to keep costs down.

Fingers crossed.

Maybe my angles were wrong, pics added to clarify. Complete with curious dog in pic 2... :D

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 200
:eek: I see your problem... Surely that is much too shallow and should be treated like a flat roof as per Script's suggestion...

He has,today,earlier:D

:D
Fair enough, I'll pass on the suggestion to the fella when he comes for the quote.

Its a lot smaller than 20x20 too!

Funny the wife reckons I overestimate the size of things too... :eek: :laugh:

Seriously though, much smaller? It's a pretty big kitchen plus a back porch and toilet. Smaller the better though I spose, less expensive!

:D
Fair enough, I'll pass on the suggestion to the fella when he comes for the quote.

Funny the wife reckons I overestimate the size of things too... :eek: :laugh:

Seriously though, much smaller? It's a pretty big kitchen plus a back porch and toilet. Smaller the better though I spose, less expensive!

Its 14x12 ,check it:D
You really dont want to waste earn your hard earned on new tiles,my suggestion is tried and tested I've done many with full LA approval.Also it keeps everything matching which is a big consideration.

dr phil....the wessex tiles will do the job for you if your felt and battons underneath the tiles are ok ..if not replace with tyvek roofing felt and new wooden battons
without seeing inside your extension for ceiling height..it looks as if the builder has put too much blockwork above the window ,thus decreasing your roof angle dramatically.he could of put the roof timbers straight on top of the catnic window lintol.....to replace with wessex tiles would be best and only needs a competant diyer to complete...also hire trestles and battons to give you a working platform ....dont get ripped off mate:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help folks. I'm not going to try anything myself, not worth it coz I haven't a clue on that front. I'll run your suggestions past the guys coming to give me quotes though. Will check back and update then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom