Anyone having trouble with Freeview in and around Harlow?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Matt_C, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Had my aerial installed a few weeks ago (first week of April) and has been pretty much fine since - minus the occasional sound drop out and picture freeze (which typically lasts a second or so then all is fine)

But last couple days it has got a lot worse - and last night and this morning has been awful. Half the channels just freeze with still pics and the sound is in an out like a scratched CD, and then the same channels just show a black screen, sometimes with sound and sometimes without, then stay black, no sound and show NO SIGNAL on the screen...

I rescanned the box a few times last night thinking it might be that but it couldn't find all channels, so I tried my other box (different make and model) and that had the same issues.

Left it overnight and just went to be. Rescanned this morning and found all channels and worked fine - for 2hrs then began getting the same probs!

Whats odd is I am getting the Sandy Heath transmitter. On the rescans I was getting some stuff from Sandy Heath, but also getting some stuff from Emsley Moor and Winter Hill :confused: But I was getting doubled up channels. I'd get the BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, news 24 and BBCi, along with the CBBC and Cbeebies channels on Sandy Heath, with the correct channel numbers, then after the 7xx channel number radio channels I'd get them again with Emsley Moor, then again in the 800's with Winter Hill. I wasn't getting any of the Five channels, or ABC, and also missing Film4 (but got Film 4+1)

When it works fine I get all the channels from Sandy Heath and thats it - no Winter Hill or Emsley Moor at all....

Is this like transmitter conflict or something?

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Well, obviously you can't receive transmissions in Essex from the North West under normal circumstances. What you are describing must be caused by short distance "tropospheric propagation". You can find out more by doing a Google search for that term.

As it's due to the weather, there's not much you can do about it (although you could try a variable attenuator). However, I advise you to do a scan when the problem is NOT occurring then leave well alone!

3. stevec46

stevec46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Matt, :hiya:
    I live in Harlow, I brought an aerial from ASDA a few weeks ago, it was aerial and cable and bracket, specially fro freeview. Put it in the loft and it was OKish, signal strength was a bit poor, tried and amplifier and it didn't make a lot of difference, so I returned the whole lot and got my money back.

I didn't think you were supposed to have aerials in Harlow, I have seen a few and loads of Sat dishes, did you talk to the council at all about the aerial?

Steve

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    Sam - I wondered if it was weather related, but the weather hadn't actually been any different to norm so thought maybe it wasn't....

Steve - To be honest, I don't know if you are or aren't supposed to have them. Where I live EVERYONE seems to have unsightly sat dishes on the sides of their houses, and very few (2 or 3 out of 20?) have aerials, but then the main road outside where I live has some houses on it a few metre's down that do have aerials so I just thought sod it, and got one fitted ;)

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    It has to be weather-related. There's no other way you'll receive NW transmissions in Essex. :)

6. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
  7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    We have had reasonably stable high pressure weather conditions this week - indeed ideal conditions for enhanced tropospheric propagation.
    I've had (analogue) Scandinavian TV at UHF in the past from here when conditions have been like that ; had to switch to a Multiple PAL sound standard TV to get the audio.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

8. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308