Anyone having problems with Sky in the hot weather

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by holtehero, Jul 15, 2005.

1. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone had been having problems with Sky signals during the hot weather.

The last couple of days have been a nightmare, with both signals on Sky+ not being locked, this seems to be a problem while the sun has been strong. In the morning and late night, the problem disappears

Restarting the box etc as Sky tech support suggest hasn't cured the problem. Also wondered where I stand with complaining to Sky as I don't particularly want to call an engineer out and pay a call out fee

Wondered if anyone had any ideas, whether the dish needs moving or whether the LNB could be faulty

Any thoughts anyone

Many thanks

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like your LNB can't take the heat. Unfortunately they are always facing the sun. If you don't want to pay an engineer, you could have a go at changing it yourself. They cost about £20 to £40, depending on the type that you buy, and where you get it from (there are some good deals on ebay).

3. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Ok, more than willing to try another LNB, any suggestions on what would be a good replacement (can you get heat resistant ones)?

PM me if you know of any good suppliers as I am pretty clueless to Satellite

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All LNB's are built to withstand heat. If I were you, I would get a ladder, and look at what's already up there. Make a note of the make, model number, and how it is fitted to the arm. Some older dishes use slightly different fittings. If you have a digital camera, take a picture of it.

Then take a stroll through the pages of Ebay UK and find one which is compatible. There are many traders who do "Buy It Now" on there, so you don't have to wait for an auction win. Many of the traders are fitters who sell off "surplus stock".

5. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Thanks will do that