1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have the Sanyo Z1 Scart to VGA cable yet?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by timlloyd, Jan 15, 2003.

1. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have just ordered myself the Z1 and now contemplating the various cable options, does anyone have the above cable yet and can comment on the quality over say svideo from DVD or composite from SKY?

Looking at the specs for the cable on

http://www.sanyo-lcdp.com/english/product/plvz1/plvz1.html

it's apparently only 2m in length, can anyone confirm this?

Have since found these two cables at Keene, could either of these be used as an alternative?

SCART - 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (WIRED RGsB) 5.0M

SCART - 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (Hsync & Vsync) 5.0M

Tim

Bring on Friday!!
    :)

2. JRPaynter

JRPaynter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use component

Jeff Paynter

3. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'll be using a Pioneer DV530 which only has RGB scart or Svideo, was looking to go for the RGB cable instead of the £100+ for a component converter box.

Tim

4. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also very interested in this cable so hopefully someone knows where to get one. I'm running my DVD player and Gamecube to Z1 via component but this cable would be very useful for other sources such as digibox.

BTW has anyone got a Philips 963 hooked up to a Z1?

Sykes

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I've got an NEC projector and a Keene synchblaster cable. I presume the sanyo one must have similar spec, there's not much more you can do with RGB from scart. The JS plasma vga box does the same, and Lectropaks do one too. Those all require a horizontal synch frequency of 15.625khz for pal rgb via scart in the projector. If the Z! can do that, I haven't seen a full spec. then they'll all work. As it happens, my keene lead is broken at present, but they're a good co. and I'm sure they'll do something about it. The results were amazing when it was working.

6. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet but it shouldn't be long... :D

I'm not sure that it is the same. The Z1 has two options for the 'Computer' input - one for regular VGA and one for SCART-to-VGA. I guess that the sync signal is not amplified by the Sanyo lead, but that the PJ can handle the low sync level directly.

_

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In that case you'd have it in PC mode for the synchblaster and associates. Low synch level is not a big issue, it's the frequency that's hard to use. Many PJ's and even some plasmas can't handle it.

8. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while ago Stevelup posted the following:

PLV-Z1 and Syncblaster

Hi

There was a message posted on here a while ago asking whether anyone has had any success using the Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector with a Syncblaster cable.

The post seems to have been deleted for some reason...

Anyway, I can't confirm whether or not the PLV-Z1 does work with the Syncblaster cable. I can - however - confirm that you don't need one at all.

Simply buy a SCART -> 4 x BNC, and a normal PC VGA to 5 x BNC cable.

Connect the two together as follows:-

R->R, G->G, B->B and Composite Video -> Hsync. Leave the Vsync cable disconnected.

It works perfectly. I have since made up a proper cable with about 15 metres of four core mini coax. On one end is a SCART plug, on the other end is a DB-15 VGA plug (totat b1tch to solder...)

Regards,

Steve

So the qustion is do either of the following Keene cables correspond to the above???

SCART - 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (WIRED RGsB) 5.0M

SCART - 15 PIN HD MALE RGB (Hsync & Vsync) 5.0M

Sykes

9. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sykes

I'd assume the vsync and hsync cable is the equivalent, can anyone elaborate how this cable may be wired up, is the composite sync from scart just split into hsync and vsync?

Nexnix have ordered the Sanyo cable and quoted a price of £39.99, as mentioned previously though I think it's only 2m.

Tim

10. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

I've ordered the Lektropacks box which is RGB Scart in, vga out.
    So its scart socket one side, vga socket the other.

Hopefully it'll come friday so I'll let you know what the diffference is like.
    Current set up for getting sky on Z1 is:
    Digibox(scart) into Panasonic svhs video.
    SVHS lead to svhs plug on Z1.
    I think this means its effectively composite video but.....

John

11. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just made up a cable for the Z1 by butchering a 10M vga lead. The projector needs 4 feeds, red,grren, blue and composite video. When you select RGB scart on the projector it must separate the syncs from the composite video feed, and adjust levels on the rgb feeds.

Keene list 2, 5 and 10m SCART - VGA male leads with RGB and H&V syncs connected, but you would need to check that the VGA H sync was connected to compostie video on the SCART.

12. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Ok hooked up the lead, its a 5 m scart lead then a 3m vga lead to Z1.
    Picture is much better, kinda sharper and brighter, readjusted settings so the same. Theres no blurring around menus etc.
    However it needs to be a good broadcast, usually one of the sports channels. You really do notice when they use low bitrates.

john

13. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    John

The scart lead you used then, was that similar to the Keene one with H&V sync or are using the Lecktropacks box you mentioned earlier in the thread?

Tim

14. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Yes Lektro box with ordinary scart connected to it.

John

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm sure the converters will give consistent results, but in a thread on the plasma forum, it seems to be that not all RGB scart outputs are equal. Therefore it's possible that a lead such as the sanyo lead, with no amplification of the sync. signal, may not work well with all scart sources. Anyone getting one could do a good service by reporting their results, and the sources they've tried it with. This issue comes up quite a bit with plasmas, as they often have a 4 socket RGB input, either BNC or RCA, and can be directly connected to a scart, or via a vga converter.

16. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone prepared to write an idiots guide how to make such a cable from a 7 m VGA-VGA cable I have and a Scart socket which i presumably could buy from Maplins? It would be very much appreciated.

I have no idea about such matters but I can probably persuade our electronics workshop to do the soldering bit if I give them a detailed diagram of the correct connections.

Cheers

Sykes

17. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Converting VGA-VGA lead to VGA-SCART lead.

1. Cut off 1 VGA connector! (The female end if it is an extension lead.)

2. Connect SCART thus:

SCART pin 5 Blue Screen - VGA pin 8
    SCART pin 7 Blue signal - VGA pin 3
    SCART pin 9 Green Screen - VGA pin 7
    SCART pin 11 Green signal - VGA pin 2
    SCART pin 13 Red screen - VGA pin 6
    SCART pin 15 Red signal - VGA pin 1
    SCART pin 17 Composite Video screen - VGA pin 5
    SCART pin 19 Composite Video signal - VGA pin 13

The r,g,b feeds in my lead were colour coded which made life easy. The H sync wire was not screened and I had to AVO the lead to find out which wire it was, white unscreened on mine.

Bill

18. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill

Thanks for that

Sykes

19. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before the detailed instructions on how to make the cable, I ordered the SyncBlaster cable from Keene.

Just to let you all know, it didnt work. It looks like the Hsync & Vsync were split to individual pins. So the Z1 needs composite video feed to work.

I cant be bothered to make my own from scratch, so I am just going to rewire the Hsync feed to the composite and that should do the trick.

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The problem is probably horizontal synch frequency or voltage. If you can make it work, tell us how please!

21. Harps

Harps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you need to do is unsolder the H-Sync wire (yellow) from the PCB in the scart socket and solder it to pin 19 on the scart socket directly. This is the composite video pin.

It works fine. You dont need to plug in the supplied adapter.

22. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Finally got the Keene scart to 15 pin hsync and vsync cable and can report it doesn't work with the Z1 (setting computer input to Scart RGB)

The cable is actually connected up with vga pin 13 to scart pin 12, Scart pin 12 is described by Keene as Data Line 1/H Sync?

Assume you could re-solder this to the comp out on the scart but unfortunately the vga plug has 2 small protusions which means it can't locate correctly on the back of the Z1 any way!

Now considering the Lektropacks component converter below

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=101

Has anybody tried this yet?

Tim

23. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Couldnt get the link to work, but I bought the Lektro box scart,(rgb) to vga. About £45 works fine, big difference over composite.

John

24. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers John

Any links for a decent VGA cable?

Tim

25. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

www.cpc.co.uk

They have hundreds of cables, I just went for cheap one until later

John

26. g0hjq

g0hjq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting to this list. I've recently treated myself to a PLV-Z1, and am delighted with it so far. Thank you to every one who has posted their suggestions and experiences.

I've just built the SCART cable, as per Severnsource's instructions earlier in this thread. It definitely does give a considerable improvement to picture quality over Composite - sharper and better colours.

I used a 10Metre SVGA cable from www.cpc.co.uk , part# AV0224266 , but instead of cutting off the end, made up a short extension cable using 4 15cm pieces of coaxial cable, a scart plug on one end and a 15-way High Density D Socket on the other, all from CPC. I also added a pair of 2 metre cables for the Left and Right audio to the Hifi.

I've use a 4-way SCART mechanical data switch (Order Code 4WSCSW from http://www.lektropacks.co.uk for easy switching between the TIVO, DVD and XBox SCART outputs. Low-tech, but it works!

Gary.

27. Lare

Lare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this is common knowledge, but according to Sanyo German representative, with whom I talked few days ago, you have to have a chassis number Z01 or newer in order to get the VGA-SCART to work. If your PLV-Z1 pj is the "Z00" series the VGA-SCART won't work even after firmware upgrade.

28. Alexei

Alexei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just built a SCART-to-VGA cable as per severnsource's instructions. However, I can't get it to work. When I select "Computer (SCART)" as Z1 input, the screen just goes black. :(

Ideas anyone?

Here's some background info. I've made the cable by butchering a Belkin VGA lead (male-male), tested working before the slaughter. I've triple-checked the new cable against the instructions (using a multimeter) and everything seems to be connected correctly. Not sure what might have gone wrong. :confused:

Here are the SCART and DB15 pinout diagrams that I've used, in case those are incorrect:

SCART - http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/scart.html

VGA - http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/vga.html

29. Alexei

Alexei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    D'oh! Seconds after posting I've realised that the SCART source (Tivo) might not actually be outputting RGB unless asked to do so. A quick browse through Tivo settings and all is well now.

So the cable wasn't to blame after all. ;)

I am now going to solder 2 phono connectors to the same SCART. Will let you know if this doesn't work either. :devil:

30. Daren

Daren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good News! Sanyo Z1 cable now available.

I originally purchased a Scart to VGA cable (item SBB95H) from Keene and modified it. I have a genuine Sanyo cable which was too short for my use but this enabled me to confirm all the connections. These match those supplied by SevernSource.

As a result of this thread Keene Electronics are going to sell a cable specifically for the PLV-Z1 the item code is SBB92S. Not sure how long it will take to update their website but I'm sure you could order by phone.

Incidentally, the VGA connector did not have the two protusions mentioned by timlloyd in an earlier post. The VGA plug was a moulded on one rather than the metal one show in the catalogue.

The chassis no of my Z1 is Z101.

Thanks to Keene for listening to their customers. :smashin: