Anyone have the Panasonic LXXDT50 LED ?

Flanno

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have not seen any discussion yet on the DT50 and was wondering if anyone has bought this ? And what do they think of the set ?

I have my 42DT50 about 3 weeks now, and so far have mixed feelings.

Positive :
- Fantasic build quality
- Very slim silver aluminium bezel = no fingerprints, swirl marks like on piano black
- Excellent motion resolution for a led. Best I've seen.
- No film effect or artifacts with interpolation set to minimum
- Colours really look fantastic. Best I've seen.
- Great filter and blacks look convincing in daylight viewing
- Very bright screen. Important as my bedroom is a sun trap even with heavy curtains room is pretty bright
- No noticeable input lag in gaming on Xbox 360
- Good codec support for flash drive playback
- Wireless DLNA works well
- Sound is pretty good for an thin led

Negative :
- DLNA does not seem to support MKV containers
- Washed out viewing angles - Panasonic talk up the wide viewing angles and as long as you are watching a bright image this is fine. But dark scenes can look gray and there is a lot of glow on the screen which I understand is down to the nature of IPS.
- Poor black levels at night - again when watching a lot of dark scenes, you don't get a deep black like on PVA panels or Plasmas. A sort of grayish black, though the filter helps somewhat. As long as you have some lighting in the room, especially behind the TV, it's fine though. I know like IPS glow, this is a limitation of the technology
- Panel is loose inside frame - I discovered the panel sort of floats inside the frame and clicks in and out along the edges. However when the TV warms up, the heat obviously causes expansion and the panel is a snug fit. I have seen this also on Dell IPS screens.
- Clouding - this is why I have mixed feelings. Like the review on this site, I had severe flashlighting in all 4 corners but after about 40 hours, I now only have flashlighting in the bottom right hand corner and a tiny bit on the side. It's no where near as bad as what people have reported on the Samsung ES7000 and 8000 range. Still, I returned it to the shop, they dimmed the lights, and were able to see this clouding but did not think it was an issue and thought it was in line with other led sets. They said they could send it their repair centre but after looking at their display model, the clouding was at least as bad as mine so I decided to hang onto the TV for the time being. If it gets worse I will certainly look into returning it. For now I dropped the backlight to 15, use CAT's mode and watch non-Blu Ray material in Cinema mode which helps mask the clouding as much as possible.

In hindsight, I think I might regret not trying the 50 inch GT50 plasma which would have cost exactly the same. Then again, this set has it's own challenges going by the reports on these forums. I guess there isn't much talk about the DT50 over the price and the fact you can have a 50 inch plasma/led for same of less money.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom