Anyone have the Lite On HDD recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Bennett, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Still looking into possibly getting this model but can't seem to find any reviews or first hand accounts beyond one a few weeks back.

Anyone here have one for can post some links to reviews by tech magazines?

Will sell off my Panasonic E30 to help cover the costs of the upgrade.

M

2. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought one this week, but I'm going to send it back because:

1. It does not seem possible to watch a previously recorded title while another is being recorded - only the programme being recorded can be watched (e.g. catch-up).
    2. If one wishes to catch up while timer-recording one programme, it does not seem possible to then record the next timer-recording, without halting playback and switching off.
    3. It is not possible to watch previous recordings while the timer is on, as the player has to be switched off for the timer to work.
    4. It is not possible to name timer-recordings during programming (only afterwards by editing), which makes finding programmes in the browser much harder.

My Panasonic DVD recorder can do all this so why not a HDD recorder? Such a wasted opportunity me thinks. MLS

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to visit Digital Spy to find lotsof unknowing buyers who get this sort of machine.
    Most on here will have something a bit better like Panasonic or Pioneer.
    You get what you pay for.Liteon is a good example

4. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to confirm what Phelings said... I have now bought a Panasonic DMR E95H, which also has a 160GB HDD, but is much more usable than the LiteOn - I love it and can't fault it! MLS

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The company I work for imports them for Liteon and speaking to one of the guys when asking do any fall off the back of a container, I was told don't bother, they are rubbish.

Anyway just to put a slight positive point to Liteon's in my office of 4 people a dodgy DVD (of a recent film) was passed around, it had obviously been pirated on a PC onto a +r DVD, and of the 4 relatively cheap makes it only played on the Liteon.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    My old Liteon 16x cd rewriter is still going strong after hundreds of cds written. Close to a thousand I guess. Been absolutely brilliant. At one time Liteon were highly regarded for top spec, top quality drives at very low prices. They don't seem to have the same reputation nowadays. It seems they have lost their edge.

7. MLS

MLS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The drive itself might be very good, it is the interface and usability that lets down the HDD recorder - it just can't do some of the things one needs from an HDD recorder - in most ways the player is no better than a high capacity VCR! MLS